Forum

Thread tagged as: Question

Perch pages - enabling editor to create custom navigation

This may be a site that should be a candidate for Perch Runway, but is there a way to do this within Perch?

My client has a site with a main area, with topical articles (which I'm doing as list / detail pages.

He also runs events, and for each event wants a subsection where pages such as event home, agenda, speakers, register can live - all with their own page template. So far so good, and I'm creating those as separate pages within a category.

The one challenge is the event-level navigation. Ideally, the editor would create the event home page, and then when he creates additional pages within the same category, they will show up in the correct navigation for that group of pages. Of course, he can create a navigation group, but if the events pages are created by the editor using Perch pages then there's no way for the editor to easily select which navigation group to use. Or is there?

Sorry that's a bit complicated - let me know if it's not clear. I suppose what I need is a piece of code that goes onto the page template that says 'some navigation goes here - let the editor choose' ?

Or is there a better way to do this altogether?

Mallen Baker

Mallen Baker 0 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

What would they be choosing from?

So suppose they create an event on deforestation. They add extra pages for agenda, speakers, booking. These pages then need to appear in the microsite navigation for that event - but these are all pages created by the editor via Perch.

Next week, they may create a new event for, say, human rights. They add pages for agenda, speakers, q&a, and booking. These pages then need to appear in the right place for that microsite. It would be easy enough to do if we were intervening, adding the correct custom navigation call on the page, but the intention is that they can create these new sections and pages themselves.

Any ideas?

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Would standard 'section' navigation not do this?

perch_pages_navigation(array(
    'from-path'=>'*',
    'from-level'=>1,
));

I hadn't noticed that bit about section navigation - looks like it should do the job. Thanks.