Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Forms

Mail a form response to different addresses based on field

Is it possible (out of the box) with forms to have a form response mailed to a different email address depending on the value selected in a drop down field in the form? If not, any pointers as to how to go about implementing this?

Alan Pyne

Alan Pyne 0 points

• 6 years ago

Alan,

If the form were public facing it could be exploited for spam if you use a select box for this task. All a spammer would need to do is substitute the option with new values and it becomes a spamming machine.

You would need to create different forms for each of the addresses then setup in the forms app where to send each form. Then you will use perch_form() to display the forms based on page content templates.

Not sure if this solution would help ... We have a form on a site where a range of subjects are in a dropdown menu. All the form output is emailed to the same address and a rule there redistributes the messages to the right people.

@Robert: Thanks for your response. Just to clarify, I don't intend for the select box to surface the email addresses client-side. For example:

<select id="department"> <option value="marketing">Marketing</option> <option value="finance">Finance</option> ...

and then in the form-handling PHP, I would have an associative array mapping the option values to email addresses.

What I'm wondering is if there is a hook point somewhere in the Perch forms app (or somewhere else?) where I can just override this hardcoded recipient address at submit time?

I've had a look through the Forms App source and can see where the "emailAddress" key is set and used but I don't know how or if it's possible to hook into this and override.

Thanks again.

@Graham: Thanks for your response. Yes - this is an option I'd considered, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing any baked in functionality in Perch.

Alan, you could write a simple app then add this app to the 'app' attribute of the perch_form.

That is the best "hook" I can think of. I would have to look back through the forms app to refresh my memory on the actual flow of submitted forms.>Alan Pyne said: >

@Robert: Thanks for your response. Just to clarify, I don't intend for the select box to surface the email addresses client-side. For example:

<select id="department"> <option value="marketing">Marketing</option> <option value="finance">Finance</option> ...

and then in the form-handling PHP, I would have an associative array mapping the option values to email addresses.

What I'm wondering is if there is a hook point somewhere in the Perch forms app (or somewhere else?) where I can just override this hardcoded recipient address at submit time?

I've had a look through the Forms App source and can see where the "emailAddress" key is set and used but I don't know how or if it's possible to hook into this and override.

Thanks again.

Alan, you could write a simple app then add this app to the 'app' attribute of the perch_form.

That is the best "hook" I can think of. I would have to look back through the forms app to refresh my memory on the actual flow of submitted forms.

like...

<perch:form id="contact" method="post" app="perch_forms alans_app"> <!--* <== See app="" *-->

simplest way to do this is to use a field variable in the email address field

so if your form has a select box or radio box with name "reason" for example, then in the Email Addresses box simply put {reason}@mydomain.com

As long as all the values match up to your email addresses it should all work simples