Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, FoxyCart

Categories and old school shop

I have a client with an earlier version of the shop app (foxycart) which they use as a catalogue (i.e. the buy option is disabled) and this has worked well and is well stocked. There are some limitations within shop and I was wondering if Sets & Categories can be used on top of the shop's categories to further aid in slicing and dicing products, to aid filtering for display purposes.

Tell me if this is a bad idea - we are trying to add functionality while avoiding the pain of reloading hundreds of products!

Charlie Elsey

Charlie Elsey 0 points

• 4 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

I don't believe that version has categories support.

Oh I was worried that might be the case. Docs say it's compatible with perch 2.8? Problem with current settings in that old version of shop is only having one level of categories i.e. no sub categories... which was why I was hoping we could add 'Categories' on top to give us additional capability.

If we have to abandon ship and go with new shop we will, just seems a bit overkill for need of a 'catalogue only' site. Which was why earlier forum posts enquired about an import route from 'old' to 'new' shop.

any other ideas gratefully received.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

If you're not selling anything, do you need to use the Shop app at all?

They are not currently selling anything directly but they might in the future - all products are priced and they are actually sold via the website following direct enquiry, as each item is unique. Also the shop architecture is a useful off the shelf template for organising products by brands, categories etc

So if we don't use shop what would you advise? list / detail pages would be a lot of re-work.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

You should plan to transition away from the FoxyShop, as that's old and deprecated. There's ultimately going to be some level of work involved in doing that.

thanks Drew