Forum

Thread tagged as: Api, Add-on-development

Rules and limitations using the API

Are there any rules or limitations when using the API to create a custom add-on?

I'm planning to create a website for my personal use to post messages and photos. For the photos I want to use the Flickr API together with Perch. I'm looking in a way to create a custom bucket for Flickr which let me see the latest images from my Flickr stream and also upload new images. (upload function will be added later) Can a developer use the Assets panel for this?

Robin Gruyters

Robin Gruyters 0 points

• 6 years ago

For the record, I don't use Perch Runway. Still have a Perch license that will do what I need to do. (besides the Flickr add-on)

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

If it's for your own use it's really up to you. Generally it's good to use existing functionality like the assets panel rather than creating your own.

Drew, thanks for the info.

I don't see any info about the Assets panel in the API documentation. Is there a reason for it? If I want to use this can I check the Gallery App for information about the Assets panel?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

No, the Gallery app predates Assets so doesn't use it.

What information are you looking for?

I'm looking for a way to incorporate Flickr stream (or at least the last x images) into the Assets panel. The best way, I think, would be to have a separate bucket or handler for this. To separate Flickr images from the local images in the resource folder.

I have just converted to Perch Runway Developer license. Which let me see how you did the handling for S3 and OpenStack.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

You could implement a bucket handler for that, I think. Extend PerchResourceBucket and customise your methods to read and write to flickr.

Thanks. Will look into it.