Forum

Thread tagged as: Error, Installation

Installation Issues

Unfortunately we're unable to install Perch, and we can't even seem to reach the initial setup screen.

We set up a database, uploaded the perch folder, renamed it to "admin" and then visited the admin/setup/ folder, as outlined in the instructions here: https://docs.grabaperch.com/perch/getting-started/installing/.

However, we then encounter a blank white screen and a 500 error. The error message we are receiving is [23-Oct-2017 06:28:28] PHP Warning: include() [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: Failed opening 'DIR/inc/pre_config.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib64/php:/usr/share/pear') in /[website-path]/admin/core/index.php on line 4.

Our server is running PHP 5.4.24.

Our site is an addon domain so the files are physically located in a subfolder, but of course the domain is accessible via ourdomain.com. Can't see why this would cause an issue but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Robert Carter

Robert Carter 0 points

• 3 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

If you are getting that message then the most likely thing is that your server is running PHP 5.3. So that would be something to check.

It's running PHP 5.4.24, as I stated in the thread.

I've just double-checked and it is most definitely running the correct version of PHP.

https://ibb.co/cxQaGR

Duncan Revell

Duncan Revell 78 points
Registered Developer

As Rachel says, it looks like you’re running a different version of PHP. The version you see in your screenshot may be the default version on the server, but yourdomain.com could be set to something else. The only way to know is to run phpinfo() in a php file - from yourdomain.com

Hmmm...that's something that's worth considering I guess.

I'll create a php.ini file that's used by all subdirectories and force 5.4.

Thanks

That did the trick.

It's a new server setup, and the default PHP installation was set as 5.4. However, after creating a php.ini file, explicitly forcing 5.4 and updating the appropriate .htaccess files, the installation went smoothly.

Thanks for the assistance Rachel and Duncan.