Forum

Thread tagged as: Error, Configuration, Runway

Issue With Google Analytics - "Page is dropping or altering the gclid parameter...

My client found an error in the Google Analytics account on our perch site, which is using Runway. The error message from Google Analytics is below, it mentions URL rewriting, which I know is a core feature in Runway and routing pages. Can you shed any light on the error message below? Is the URL rewriting blocking the "gclid" that Google needs to track a given page?

"The Ad Destination URL has accrued a significant number of clicks but a lower-than-expected number of corresponding sessions because the page is dropping or altering the gclid parameter inserted by Google. Check the web server's redirect logic or its use of a URL rewrite engine to ensure the gclid parameter is preserved. Google Tag Assistant Recordings can help you ensure that your website is properly accepting the gclid parameter."

Leigh C

Leigh C 0 points

• 4 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Is gclid a query string parameter? Runway should be preserving those. What behaviour are you seeing, and what do you need it to be?

Leigh C

Leigh C 0 points

There is no behavior issue, just a notice on the Analytics dashboard, noting the error. It points to a learn more: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2938246/

That's all I know about it though.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Ok, well if I'm going to help I need to know what the problem is!

Leigh C

Leigh C 0 points

HI Drew - perhaps these is a miscommunication. I thought it's clear the problem is the error message being given my Google Analytics. Again, nothings obvious, but as you can see the the error message (see above), the gclid is being stripped. So that's the problem - was that not clear?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

So you're not seeing any problems, yet you want me to do something about it? I've really no idea what you're asking for.

Leigh C

Leigh C 0 points

I'm asking if Perch strips outs or blocks or alters the "gclid parameter" that Google inserts when routing pages.

The error says it's getting lots of clicks but "something" is blocking it from getting that parameter it needs. I imagine it's whatever the rewriting that's happening via Perch. So it that something that can be adjusted? Filtered? Or is that impossible?

Here's the error message again: "The Ad Destination URL has accrued a significant number of clicks but a lower-than-expected number of corresponding sessions because the page is dropping or altering the gclid parameter inserted by Google. Check the web server's redirect logic or its use of a URL rewrite engine to ensure the gclid parameter is preserved. Google Tag Assistant Recordings can help you ensure that your website is properly accepting the gclid parameter."

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Can you give a practical example of the behaviour? I've never heard of gclid so it's certainly not something Perch is deliberately stripping, but as yet I'm completely unclear as to what you're seeing happening and what you'd expect to happen.

Leigh C

Leigh C 0 points

Hi Drew - sorry, I can't provide an example. All I have is the error message. I was hoping you'd know what the "gclid" element was and a way to get around it. I'll let my client know it's currently an unknown, but if it doesn't come up for someone again, I'm glad this thread is here waiting.

Thanks for trying - cheers!