Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Field-Types

Customisable admin interface

My client produces video games, and I created a Perch site for them, running Perch 2.3.2 a few years ago.

The site has a page for each game. I created a template for these pages, with spaces for a box shot, copy and the platforms supported - i.e. PS4, XBoxOne and so forth. This is done by a combination of perch:content checkboxes and perch:if statements, the end result being a platform logo being displayed if the relevant tick box is checked. So if the PS4 box is checked in the admin system, a PS4 logo will appear on the web page.

The client would like the ability to add future supported platforms themselves, but I can't think how I might do this - any suggestions would be appreciated!

Jon Tarbuck

Jon Tarbuck 0 points

• 4 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

It sounds like you might be able to do that with categories. Create a set called Platforms and create PS4, XBoxOne etc as categories within it.

Use a template for the category with fields for whatever logos etc you want to add.

Then assign the categories to each game.

Thanks Drew, will take a look.

Do I need to upgrade my version of Perch from 2.3.2 to use categories?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

You should update come what may. It's free.

Thanks, will do. I've got everything set up in my local environment now, running the latest version of Perch, but am having trouble using the Categories functionality - specifically I can't seem to create individual categories, having created a set called Platforms. There are two Title Fields, and a Slug field - I'm not sure what to put in each of these?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

The first would be the title of the category you're trying to create. Did you try?

I tried to create Platforms (not made any changes to any .php files to add any required code in, not sure if this is an issue), but it wouldn't validate the input of any of the fields. Not sure what I'm doing wrong TBH.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

What happened?

The fields were simply highlighted red and I couldn't submit the form.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

I would suggest enabling debug so you can see what the problem is. We'll also need your Diagnostics Report to help.