Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem

Check if form submitted and success message displayed.

Hello,

I have a form which is within a content region. The form is working and returning the success message too. So no problems here.

What I would like to do is be able to see in PHP when the form has been submitted and success message is being displayed.

My form is inside a modal, and the model is closed by default. When the success message is returned unless you click to revel the modal, you don't see the success message. I have a piece of code to open the modal if there is a success message, but I don't know how to determine if the form submitted successfully.

I hope you can help.

Time Δ Debug Message 0.017 0 SELECT p.pagePath, pr.routePattern, pr.routeRegExp, p.pageTemplate FROM perch2_pages p LEFT JOIN perch2_page_routes pr ON p.pageID=pr.pageID ORDER BY pr.routeOrder ASC, p.pagePath ASC 0.0195 0.0026 Matched page: /overington, so not using routes. 0.0201 0.0006 Using master page: /templates/pages/overington_bootstrap_index.php 0.0224 0.0023 SELECT u.*, r.* FROM perch2_users u, perch2_user_roles r WHERE u.roleID=r.roleID AND u.userEnabled=1 AND u.userID=1 AND u.userHash='52bc774207302ccaa133f0488fe81860' LIMIT 1 0.0255 0.0031 UPDATE perch2_users SET userHash='0ee0b67d3b4be96577374a8aa4ff5a8d' WHERE userID='1' 0.0277 0.0022 SELECT p.privKey FROM perch2_user_privileges p 0.0307 0.003 SELECT * FROM perch2_pages WHERE pagePath='/overington' LIMIT 1 0.0332 0.0025 SELECT DISTINCT settingID, settingValue FROM perch2_settings WHERE userID=0 0.0362 0.003 Using sub-template: /templates/forms/overington_contact.html 0.0395 0.0033 SELECT * FROM perch2_forms WHERE formKey='contact' LIMIT 1 1.4372 1.3977 Sent email: "Comment from Website" to user@domain.com 1.4391 0.0018 INSERT INTO perch2_forms_responses(responseJSON,formID,responseIP,responseSpamData) VALUES('{\"fields\":{\"name\":{\"attributes\":{\"type\":\"text\",\"id\":\"name\",\"required\":\"true\",\"label\":\"Name\"},\"value\":\"Robert\"},\"email\":{\"attributes\":{\"type\":\"email\",\"id\":\"email\",\"required\":\"true\",\"label\":\"Email\",\"placeholder\":\"you@company.com\"},\"value\":\"emailme@me.com\"},\"message\":{\"attributes\":{\"type\":\"textarea\",\"id\":\"message\",\"required\":\"true\",\"label\":\"Message\"},\"value\":\"Message is here\"}},\"files\":[],\"page\":{\"id\":\"2\",\"title\":\"Overington\",\"path\":\"\\/overington\",\"navtext\":\"Overington\"}}','1','192.168.2.200','{\"fields\":[],\"environment\":{\"REDIRECT_STATUS\":\"200\",\"HTTP_HOST\":\"runway.local\",\"HTTP_CONNECTION\":\"keep-alive\",\"CONTENT_LENGTH\":\"184\",\"HTTP_CACHE_CONTROL\":\"max-age=0\",\"HTTP_ACCEPT\":\"text\\/html,application\\/xhtml+xml,application\\/xml;q=0.9,image\\/webp,*\\/*;q=0.8\",\"HTTP_ORIGIN\":\"https:\\/\\/runway.local\",\"HTTP_UPGRADE_INSECURE_REQUESTS\":\"1\",\"HTTP_USER_AGENT\":\"Mozilla\\/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit\\/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome\\/47.0.2526.106 Safari\\/537.36\",\"CONTENT_TYPE\":\"application\\/x-www-form-urlencoded\",\"HTTP_REFERER\":\"https:\\/\\/runway.local\\/overington\",\"HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING\":\"gzip, deflate\",\"HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE\":\"en-US,en;q=0.8\",\"HTTP_COOKIE\":\"cmsa=1; PHPSESSID=0262ar5nrteb2425s4onaivbe3\",\"PATH\":\"\\/usr\\/local\\/sbin:\\/usr\\/local\\/bin:\\/usr\\/sbin:\\/usr\\/bin:\\/sbin:\\/bin\",\"SERVER_SIGNATURE\":\"<address>Apache\\/2.4.10 (Raspbian) Server at runway.local Port 80<\\/address>\\n\",\"SERVER_SOFTWARE\":\"Apache\\/2.4.10 (Raspbian)\",\"SERVER_NAME\":\"runway.local\",\"SERVER_ADDR\":\"192.168.2.229\",\"SERVER_PORT\":\"80\",\"REMOTE_ADDR\":\"192.168.2.200\",\"DOCUMENT_ROOT\":\"\\/var\\/www\\/runway-local\\/public_html\",\"REQUEST_SCHEME\":\"http\",\"CONTEXT_PREFIX\":\"\",\"CONTEXT_DOCUMENT_ROOT\":\"\\/var\\/www\\/runway-local\\/public_html\",\"SERVER_ADMIN\":\"webmaster@localhost\",\"SCRIPT_FILENAME\":\"\\/var\\/www\\/runway-local\\/public_html\\/perch\\/core\\/runway\\/start.php\",\"REMOTE_PORT\":\"58332\",\"REDIRECT_URL\":\"\\/overington\",\"GATEWAY_INTERFACE\":\"CGI\\/1.1\",\"SERVER_PROTOCOL\":\"HTTP\\/1.1\",\"REQUEST_METHOD\":\"POST\",\"QUERY_STRING\":\"\",\"REQUEST_URI\":\"\\/overington\",\"SCRIPT_NAME\":\"\\/perch\\/core\\/runway\\/start.php\",\"PHP_SELF\":\"\\/perch\\/core\\/runway\\/start.php\",\"REQUEST_TIME_FLOAT\":1451306963.282,\"REQUEST_TIME\":1451306963}}') 1.4419 0.0028 SELECT * FROM perch2_forms_responses WHERE responseID='26' LIMIT 1 1.4446 0.0027 No ids to log. 1.4452 0.0006 1.4457 0.0005 Invalidating opcache: /var/www/runway-local/public_html/perch/templates/pages/overington_bootstrap_index.php 1.4509 0.0052 SELECT regionKey, regionHTML FROM perch2_content_regions WHERE regionPage='/overington' OR regionPage='*' ORDER BY regionPage DESC 1.4561 0.0053 Time: 1.456 1.4563 0.0002 Memory: 0.7418
Robert Ketter

Robert Ketter 103 points

• 5 years ago

Sorry, That debug is after successful form submission.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

I don't think there's a way to tell if the form validated unless you're the validating app.

Would it be an option to add the JavaScript to trigger the modal into the <perch:success> section of the template?

Yes. That would work perfectly. I didn't really think about that.

Thank you.

I did have a working example where I was using trim() on the return, then comparing this on the result of perch_content(), but I figured there would be an easier way :)

Robert, Would you be able to share an example of the JS that you used to re-reveal the modal following form validation / errors? I'd like to use a modal for members log-in but I can't get it to persist through form validation. Thanks!

I actually just added a class to the tag in <perch:success> then used jquery to reveal.

Give me a couple minutes and I will dig it out.

:)

COOL! Thanks Robert, take your time :)

in form template

<perch:success>
<div class="success">
    <perch:content id="success" type="textarea" label="Thank you message" textile="true" editor="markitup" />
</div>
</perch:success>

then on the php page

<script>
    $(document).ready(function(){
        $('form .required').attr('required', 'required');

var error = $('#myModal .error').html();
        var success = $('#myModal .success').html();

if (error != null) {
            $('#myModal .error').html('<div class="alert alert-danger">' + error + '</div>');
            $('#myModalLabel').empty().text('Error Sending Email');
        }

if (success != null) {
            $('#myModal .success').html('<div class="alert alert-success">' + success + '</div>');
            $('#myModalLabel').empty().text('Email Delivered - Thank You');
        }

if ((error != null) || (success != null)) { $('#myModal').modal('show'); }
    });
</script>

Brilliant! Thanks Robert, got it working like a charm.