Forum

Thread tagged as: Error, Installation, Configuration

500 Internal System Error

I am using a HostGator Shared Server with multiple websites. I currently am successfully Running Perch on two websites, they work perfectly with no errors.

Today I tried to install Perch on a third website but keep getting an "Error 500 - Internal System Error". I bought the licence, downloaded the zip, extracted it and uploaded the "perch" directory to the server (via FTP) just has I had on the previous 2 sites. Except this time when I go to "mysite.com/perch/" I get an "Error 500 - Internal System Error".

I turned on error logging and error displaying for all errors, warnings and notices, and ran the page again, no new errors were shown and no "error_log" file was create.

What am I doing wrong? What else can I try?

Chris Boire

Chris Boire 0 points

• 6 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Have you got a pass from the server compatibility test for this site?

If so the next step would be to talk to your host and find out how to enable error logging as a 500 error is an error notification. We need to know the actual error message to be able to help.

Like i said before, it is a shared server with Perch already installed on other sites on the server, so I know 100% that it is compatible. And I have error logging on already.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

It would not be the first time that a customer has had a compatibility test failure from a site when they have other Perch sites on the same server. So it is a good first check.

And if your 500 error is not generating a PHP error then you have a server issue to fix before we can look at any Perch error. Let us know once you have got your server generating an error log.

I did not realize that some accounts on shared server are compatible and some are not. I mean they run the same version of PHP and the same version of MySQL. I took your advice and ran the Perch Compatibility Test and it also gave me a "Error 500". I will check all my settings now.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

It may be that once you can get an error report the issue is obvious, if not post the PHP error here and we'll be able to help.