Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Shop

Perch Shop Shipping

I'm looking for some advice on how to implement a client's shipping system using Perch Shop.

The client sells a variety of items on their store and classifies each item as 'small', 'medium' or 'large' which then affects how much postage they charge for that item. They don't use product dimensions or weights - just these categories.

What I would like to do is implement some logic in the cart that will calculate how much postage to add for each item based on it's classification and shipping destination.

For example, the customer has added 3 items to the cart. 2 of these items are 'small' and 1 is 'large'.

If this order was shipping to UK, the cart should add £2 for each small item and £4 for the large item.

If this order was shipping to US, the cart should add £4 for each small item and £8 for the large item.

I would appreciate any advice on how I can utilise the features of Perch Shop to implement this custom shipping system.

Stuart Christie

Stuart Christie 0 points

• 4 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

We don't have a shipping price per product - just max dimensions and weights as you note.

I can't think of a straightforward way to do what you want. You might consider adding a vote for this on the roadmap.

Hi Drew,

Thanks for your response. Would it be possible to add a custom field to denote the classification of the each item - i.e. small, medium or large and apply some custom logic at the checkout to check each product in the cart and adjust the grand total?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

No, there's no way to hook into the shipping calculations.

Ok thanks, Drew. Clutching at straws here, would Perch be capable of this?...

A custom field on the product to mark it as small, medium or large. 3 'shipping' products with unlimited stock and fixed prices: Small, Medium and Large.

Some logic at the checkout along the lines of: for each item in cart, check the custom field and add the relevant 'shipping' product?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I think you could probably do that, yes.