Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions

Generate image transforms on the fly

It would be really helpful to be able to generate different image transformations after the assets have been uploaded. I'm often working on design tweaks to old sites with perch which require image size changes, or making use of responsive images. It's really annoying to have to re-upload or re-select the assets in the content pages to see the new image transforms, especially since I'm often working with regions 100s of items large. I also think this would be really, really helpful during development.

I understand the performance impact of generating a new image transform when requested for the first time from the front end, but surely most of the time this will be the developer, or site owner checking if their image was generated ok?

Are there other reasons I've missed why you've decided to not opt for this?

Oliver Lowe

Oliver Lowe 0 points

• 5 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

This is something we've opted for and are working on for Perch 2.9.

Excellent, thanks!

I noticed this isn't included in the new release of Perch 3. Is it still something you're working on and will be releasing in the near-ish future? I'm thinking about creating an app to handle this for a current project that has a tonne of old images, but if I don't need to then that would save me a lot of hassle!

Thanks a lot

Olly

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Assets changed got bumped from this release, but it's still planned for the future.

Oliver... note that you can re-save individual regions and the specified image sizes in the template will be generated if needed. Not sure if that has been that way for a while or what. At least a work-around until on-the-fly is implemented.