Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Perch1

Perch 1 to Perch 2 License

Apologies for what may seem like a simple-minded question. I registered my first Perch license in 2012 when it was recommended to me during a class at University. According to my email receipt, this was a Perch 1.8.4 license.

Since this time I have only used Perch occasionally, registering a few other licenses in 2013 which were either 2.3.2 or 2.3.4 licenses (again, this information is from my email receipts). These were all small projects I did for other people, and once the sites were finished I had no reason to return to them for changes or upgrades.

I am now looking again at the first license I registered in 2012, in order to do a complete redesign of the website (scrapping everything and starting from the ground up). I want to build the new site using Perch 2, however I can't remember whether I upgraded before Perch 1 was discontinued. How can I check whether the license is for Perch 1 or Perch 2? And how do I make the change if necessary?

Thanks.

Rob Crawford

Rob Crawford 0 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

If you have an upgrade available, that should show on the detail page for your license in your grabaperch.com account.

If your license key begins with P1, that's Perch 1. P2 is Perch 2.

Thanks for the quick reply. It seems all the licenses in my account begin with P2, including the oldest license from 2012 which was originally Perch 1.8.4.

(Edit: the original receipt shows that the license used to begin with P1, but now begins with P2)

Does that mean I have already upgraded it? I couldn't find any email receipts to confirm this, and I have no recollection of paying for the upgrade. Is it possible that it was offered for free at some stage?

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

That means you've upgraded it.

If you bought up to a month before we announced Perch 2, we gave out free upgrades.

Ah, that would explain it. Thanks for confirming!

Hello,

I have a similar question. Like Rob, I sparingly used my Perch 1 license, but wish now to upgrade to Perch 2 to do some website updates.

I currently have v1.8.4. When I re-download the license, it's still v1.8.4. I've looked at all of the upgrade documentation (latest v2 release, upgrade app), but whenever I go to My Account, the only 'Upgrades' option available to me is from Perch 2 to Runway. Runway will be too much for the small site that I'm working on.

What am I missing? Why am I not getting the option to download / purchase the latest v2 license?

Hello,

I found (most) of my answer in another post: no purchasing upgrades post May - got it. And I want to make a slight correction: the only upgrade option available in my account is Perch 1 to Runway. I still have a few lingering questions, though...

Since purchasing the Upgrade license has discontinued, will I have to move to Perch Runway? Even after reviewing the support resources, I'm still a bit unclear as to what my current options are.

And if that's the case, is there a Perch 1 only documentation? I understand that it's no longer supported, but the current docs don't always specify which version/s of Perch is being referred to.

thanks.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

You can upgrade a Perch 1 license to Perch 2 by purchasing a full Perch 2 license, at the current time the P1 to 2 upgrade app still should work - this will not be guaranteed.

There are now no Perch 1 docs or support, we took those docs down in June. It's an end-of-life product.

Thanks, Rachel. I think the issue that I'm having is that all of the documentation for upgrading says to go to my Account to get any upgrades (Perch 2, Runway, etc.). When I go to my Account, the only 'Upgrades' options I have are: 1) Upgrade Perch 2 to Perch Runway, and 2) Perch to Perch Runway Developer.

In my Licenses, I only have Perch 1 - they both start with P1. So it's almost like I have to completely skip Perch 2 and go straight to Runway, which is more than what I need.

According to this, I need to download Perch 2 separately:

"Before upgrading your Perch 1 site, read the full upgrade instructions.

You will need to download Perch 2 plus new versions of each official add-on that your site uses before installing and running this app."

Basically, I can't seem to find just the Perch 2 license download so that I can run the upgrade.