Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem, Error

Ajax call to get content from a region

I have a few sub pages that have a content region called 'Description'. On the home page, I have a small widget that displays the those descriptions based on what the user selects. It works by just doing a post call to a php script below:

<?php include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/perch/runtime.php');

$slug = $_POST['slug'];
  echo $slug;

$content = perch_content_custom('Description', array(
    'page' => $slug,
    'skip-template' => true,
    'return-html' => true
  ), true);

echo var_dump($content);

?>

At the moment I am just trying log the response to the console, but I get the error:

"The template <code></code> could not be found."

which, according to this thread should be sorted out by the "Description" argument.

The desired content is just a single paragraph.

Locky Keaney

Locky Keaney 0 points

• 4 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Have you reduced it to a basic test case?

perch_content_custom('Description', [
    'page' => '/path/to/your/page.php' 
]);

What result do you get?

Pretty much the same error:

The template <code></code> could not be found.NULL

The NULL appears when I use var_dump. Echoing just the variable gives the same error as before.

The same widget also gets a list of the navigation items on the page, which works fine:

$slug = $_POST['slug'];

$arr = perch_pages_navigation(array(
    'from-path' => $slug,
    'levels' => 0,
    'skip-template' => true,
  ), true);

foreach($arr as $item) {
    echo '<li class="course-widget--list-item">'.'<a href="'.$item["pagePath"].'">'.$item["pageTitle"].'</a></li>';
  }

Could that be interfering?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

It sounds like that region doesn't exist. If you turn on debug, what does it output?

I've placed the ~~~ PerchUtil::output_debug(); ~~~ debugger in a few spots on the page, and in the script that Ajax calls, but I can't get it do to return anything at all.

This is on the bottom of the admin page with the description region:

Debug Message - Perch 3.0.6
[1] SELECT u.*, r.* FROM perch3_users u, perch3_user_roles r WHERE u.roleID=r.roleID AND u.userEnabled=1 AND u.userID=1 AND u.userHash='d787f3f3637debc33c6a411c5637252b' LIMIT 1
UPDATE perch3_users SET userHash='ea7499758dbed3f41206229310d4ecb7' WHERE userID='1'
[40] SELECT p.privKey FROM perch3_user_privileges p
[14] SELECT settingID, settingValue, userID FROM perch3_settings WHERE userID=1 OR userID=0 ORDER BY userID ASC
[8] SELECT itemValue FROM perch3_menu_items WHERE itemType='app'
[1] SELECT * FROM perch3_content_regions WHERE regionID=165 LIMIT 1
[1] SELECT * FROM perch3_pages WHERE pageID='25' LIMIT 1
Using template: /templates/content/text_block.html
[1] SELECT * FROM perch3_content_items c WHERE c.regionID=165 AND c.itemRev=1 ORDER BY c.itemOrder ASC
[1] SELECT * FROM perch3_content_items c WHERE c.regionID=165 AND c.itemRev=1 ORDER BY c.itemOrder ASC
Form not posted or did not validate
[1] SELECT * FROM perch3_menu_items WHERE itemActive=1 AND itemType='menu' AND parentID=0 ORDER BY itemOrder ASC LIMIT 0, 1
[3] SELECT mi.*, p.privKey FROM perch3_menu_items mi LEFT JOIN perch3_user_privileges p ON mi.privID=p.privID WHERE mi.itemActive=1 AND mi.parentID=1 ORDER BY mi.itemOrder ASC
[1] SELECT itemTitle FROM perch3_menu_items WHERE itemType='app' AND itemValue='content' LIMIT 1
[1] SELECT * FROM perch3_menu_items WHERE itemActive=1 AND itemType='menu' AND parentID=0 ORDER BY itemOrder ASC LIMIT 1, 10
[2] SELECT mi.*, p.privKey FROM perch3_menu_items mi LEFT JOIN perch3_user_privileges p ON mi.privID=p.privID WHERE mi.itemActive=1 AND mi.parentID=2 ORDER BY mi.itemOrder ASC
File: /core/apps/content/modes/edit.form.post.php
Mode: edit.form
Queries: 15
Memory: 3.371

The region is the only thing on the page with any content. It is getting called from a page template, does that make a difference? The pages these descriptions on are templates that have been used to make new pages from the dashboard.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Call the script directly - you need to reduce this to a basic case, eliminating all JavaScript.

This is the debug from the script:

Debug Message - Perch 3.0.8
[nil] SELECT regionID, regionTemplate, regionPage, regionRev AS rev FROM perch3_content_regions WHERE regionKey='Description' AND (regionPage='/courses/technology' OR regionPage='*')
No matching content regions found. Check region name (Description) and page path options.
[nil] SELECT * FROM ( SELECT idx.itemID, c.regionID, idx.pageID, c.itemJSON, idx2.indexValue as sortval FROM perch3_content_index idx JOIN perch3_content_items c ON idx.itemID=c.itemID AND idx.itemRev=c.itemRev AND idx.regionID=c.regionID JOIN perch3_content_index idx2 ON idx.itemID=idx2.itemID AND idx.itemRev=idx2.itemRev AND idx2.indexKey='_order' WHERE idx.regionID IS NULL AND idx.itemID=idx2.itemID AND idx.itemRev=idx2.itemRev ) as tbl GROUP BY itemID, pageID, itemJSON, sortval, regionID ORDER BY sortval ASC
Template file not found: /Users/nathan/Documents/LOCAL/clients/itfutures/www/perch/templates/content/.html

I tried a region with a different name, and all kinds of different page paths and still nothing. Those values that are in the debig are the correct values that I want. Both the page and the regions are definitely there, and I've hardcoded to values right in there.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

The page /courses/technology does not have a region called Description

Are you sure the page isn't /courses/technology.php or /courses/technology/index.php ?

EUREKA!

Adding /index.php has found what I need! I was using the same url structure as my navigation templates, and my .htaccess is removing all php extensions. Thank you for your help!