Forum

Thread tagged as: Configuration, Suggestions, Discussion

Suggestion - Perch page regions inside 'expandable sections' for a cleaner inter...

One thing my clients find a little intimidating is when they open up a page to edit and there are lots of regions for them to choose from. It makes it quite hard to find the the one they want and sometimes makes a page look far more complicated to edit than it is.

I'm wondering if a cleaner way to handle it would be to offer the ability for devs to place editable regions within 'expandable sections'. (Basically just like you have a parent page with child pages underneath) That way when you click into a page with lots of regions you might see this instead:

• Meta section (2 editable regions)
  • Intro section (3 editable regions)
  • Slider section (3 editable regions)
  • Main content section (2 editable regions)
  • Footer section (2 editable regions)

So instead of seeing 12 regions you just see 5 main sections which you can then expand. This then makes it much easier and faster for a user to narrow down what they are looking for.

Maybe it's overkill or there is already a better solution. Just thought I'd share my thoughts as it seems a long list of regions is sometimes a little intimidating for my clients.

Jonathan Clift

Jonathan Clift 1 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

I wonder if that would not make it slower, as you'd need to cycle through another step before you get to your region.

Yes maybe, it's a fair point. I just feel that a long list of regions look so similar which makes it quite hard to pick out the one you're looking for. You can end up scanning up and down a few times.

Maybe then they all show on the page but you can assign them to sections. A bit like you can with content templates. Headings would help make them more readable when scanning.

perch_content('region','section name');
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

We don't add new arguments to perch_content() (especially as it already has a second argument), but we'll give this some thought.

That probably wasn't a great example, was just highlighting my thinking. Thanks for giving it some thought though.