Forum

Thread tagged as: Question

Perch and SEO question

Hello,

I am planning re build of a website that has 180 static html pages. I performs very well on search engines coming in number 1 on google, bing and yahoo for the most used keyword phrase.

I really want to make her site perch driven but obviously the client is very happy with it's performance on search engines and does not want that affected at all.

So I nervously ask how can I use perch in the way that will still hold the weight of 180 static pages? I've not had this concern before and I really want to use perch if possible.

Any advise really appreciated on this so I can continue planning on the project.

Mark.

Mark Fenton

Mark Fenton 0 points

• 5 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

There is no reason that Perch should pose an issue to SEO, search engines don't know what is creating your pages. They just see the HTML.

What you will want to ensure is that you don't change the paths to the pages, or if you need to redirect them properly.

The most likely way to damage search engine ranking is by fundamentally changing content that is performing well.

I would suggest with that many pages to take a look at Runway, the routing in Runway will also help you maintain site structure.

Hi Rachel, so would a crawler like google still run through all the perch pages, if perch was populating a single page structure with say 60 pages populated in Perch as if they were 60 static pages?

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

A search engine sees a URL and the response it gets back from it. It has no knowledge or concern about what software might be running on your server to handle that URL or generate that HTML. It's transparent.

Thanks Drew