Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem

perch too complicated

Hi

I have html/css/javascript and I am struggling with perch - a lot!

Is there anything I can study to help? php?

I can't even make a gallery and worse, I don't understand the video tutorial.

It's probably a gap in my knowledge, but I don't know what.

send help.

leon segal

leon segal 0 points

• 6 years ago

Leon. Start with the basics, then work into it.

Have you been able to install and get the sample pages to load? The url is website.com/example.php

Let us know what you've done/tried and show us your templates.

We ( the perch crowd) would love to help but we need more information the just asking for help. :)

R. Ketter

Ben Furfie

Ben Furfie 3 points
Registered Developer

Exactly. Start small and try to do one thing at a time.

Start with a HTML template and swap out one bit of content first with the <perch:content /> tag. Understand the basics before trying something more advanced.

After all, we all had to learn to crawl before we could walk, nevermind run :)

"swap out one bit of content first with the <perch:content /> tag"

I have done this and it worked fine. I thought I would then add images, but they were huge on the page and not clickable e.g. lightbox

I was trying to do this on the live site, then I got scared and gave up. I am now trying to setup a developer environment on my pc, so I can mess about with it.

I can't really show you anything as setting up the dev environment is a bit beyond me at the moment.

I just can't fathom the steps required to swap out content for a gallery.

Is there a tutorial or a check list or anything to follow through logically so you can make a cms gallery?

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

HI Leon. Have you built a website before? What skills do you currently have?

Hi Drew

I have built about 5 websites so far from start to finish, I've also been involved in numerous other sites for the last 4 years or so, but honestly I've never needed php/mysql or apache before.

i can use: html/css/javascript/jquery/frameworks (foundation/bootstrap)

i am learning: php/angular/ajax/node/xampp

is it just a case of more skills needed?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Ok, great. Do you have XAMPP up and running and do you get a pass from the compatibility test?

Have you successfully installed Perch?

i deleted the setup folder once it was on the live domain, didn't think I would need it again.

I can't download perch again now - it takes me to my subscription and there is no link there to download

I will get xampp up and running (i need to learn how to make a password for mysql root) and install perch (if I can get the files) and get back to you.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

You can download the files from here: https://grabaperch.com/account/licenses/perch

If Perch is proving a poor match for your needs right now, we can also just refund you.

I have xampp up and running with a database in htdocs called wcs, but when I try to run perchtest, nothing happens. I am using these settings:

Server: localhost Database: wcs Port: 8080 (port 80 is being used by our CRM software) Username: wcs Password: ********

I keep getting a time-out message:

Warning: PDO::__construct(): MySQL server has gone away in C:\xampp\htdocs\WCS\perchtest\lib\PerchDB_MySQL.class.php on line 47

Warning: PDO::__construct(): Error while reading greeting packet. PID=8720 in C:\xampp\htdocs\WCS\perchtest\lib\PerchDB_MySQL.class.php on line 47

Warning: Uncaught exception 'PDOException' with message 'SQLSTATE[HY000] [2006] MySQL server has gone away' in C:\xampp\htdocs\WCS\perchtest\lib\PerchDB_MySQL.class.php:47 Stack trace: #0 C:\xampp\htdocs\WCS\perchtest\lib\PerchDB_MySQL.class.php(47): PDO->__construct('mysql:host=loca...', 'wcs', '********', Array) #1 C:\xampp\htdocs\WCS\perchtest\lib\PerchDB_MySQL.class.php(80): PerchDB_MySQL->open_link() #2 C:\xampp\htdocs\WCS\perchtest\step2.php(42): PerchDB_MySQL->get_link() #3 {main} thrown in C:\xampp\htdocs\WCS\perchtest\lib\PerchDB_MySQL.class.php on line 47

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\xampp\htdocs\WCS\perchtest\lib\PerchDB_MySQL.class.php on line 47

I am not after a refund - I want to get this up and running. I just don't know what I need to know yet.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

We can't help with other software. If you can't get Xampp to work then you need to speak to their support.

Leon,

when you visit localhost on your test environment are you presented with a welcome page from xampp?

Lets determine your current position

Could you please provide the URL to the "Live Domain" which I can have a look at and maybe determine whats going on.

update

My dev env server passed the perchtest (hooray!)

I will now try to install perch

thanks

further update

Got this message, will look into it and try to do what it says.

Getting there very (very) slowly.

I used root for this db, so I think the access should be ok, although I can't be sure, as this is all new to me.

I will get there though.

Perch
Installing...
Your config file was written automatically.
Error: SQLSTATE[23000]: Integrity constraint violation: 1062 Duplicate entry 'headerColour-0' for key 'PRIMARY'
Error: SQLSTATE[23000]: Integrity constraint violation: 1062 Duplicate entry '1' for key 'PRIMARY'
Error: SQLSTATE[23000]: Integrity constraint violation: 1062 Duplicate entry '1-1' for key 'PRIMARY'
Error: SQLSTATE[23000]: Integrity constraint violation: 1062 Duplicate entry '1' for key 'PRIMARY'
Creating database tables… Unable to create database tables.
"The most likely cause is that your database access details aren't quite right. Please double check them. Note that some hosting control panel software (like cPanel) will prefix the database name with your account name. So if you created a new database called wcs the full name could be something like accountname_wcs.

If you're still have trouble, it's possible that the MySQL user hasn't got enough access rights to create tables. Change this, if you can, then reload this page.

Still no success? Drop us a line and we'll see if we can help."

Robert Ketter said:

Leon,

when you visit localhost on your test environment are you presented with a welcome page from xampp?

Yes, it's all up and runnning

Lets determine your current position

Could you please provide the URL to the "Live Domain" which I can have a look at and maybe determine whats going on.

There's nothing on the live domain, other than the site I built. I wanted to develop the site my pc first then upload it after.

thanks for the help so far.

I have been learning php and databases on treehouse and lynda and that has really helped.

I have reposted this thread under the topic Installation/Unable to create database tables

Working now - thanks again