Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem

Uploading large files into assets

Hi,

I am trying to upload larger files (videos) into assets. The files are usually above 500mb, and the upload limit has been raised by the hosting provider. However, after the video finishes uploading, it does not appear in back end in the assets even though I can find it in the resources folder via FTP.

Is that anything you can help me with? Thanks

Bob Gentle

Bob Gentle 0 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

By what method are you uploading? Are you using the Assets app directly, or the asset chooser? Are you using the JavaScript uploader?

I created a template with a file upload so the users can upload videos. It works fine if the video is lets say 30mb. However, if it's larger, it does not show in the assets after it's uploaded. I'm using the standard assets uploader, the same one you'd use for images or any other files.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Within the Assets app?

Yes it is within the Assets app (the one that pops up from the right side when you hit "Select or upload file")

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

That's what we call the asset chooser. Can you go to the Assets app itself and try?

Hi Drew,

tried the Assets app, and it uploaded the whole video but would not show it in the assets at all after upload

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

It does sound like something either timing out or running up against a resource limit. The process for uploading a large file is the same as a small file. The difference is time and resource use.

So if you try to upload a file that's around 500mb, does it work fine? Just trying to figure out if it's a problem within perch or the configuration of the server

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

My max file upload limit is set to 32MB so that won't work for me, no.

We've had the upload limit raised so that should not be the issue. Have you got any suggestions?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Have you checked your error log?