Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem, Suggestions

Option to choose Markdown processor

Since the switch to Parsedown (Extra) from PHP Markdown (Extra), I've had a number of problems with wonky parsing. Some of these I've been able to fix by adjusting the way I'm writing my Markdown, some by posting issues at Parsedown, and some by manually fixing/changing some things in the Parsedown code. None of these is ideal, though.

I'd like to suggest a config variable, maybe PERCH_MARKDOWN_LIB, that lets admins choose which parser they'd like to use. This would allow legacy, pre-Parsedown content to remain safe and stable, but still give users access to the new features Parsedown brings if they need them.

David Newton

David Newton 0 points

• 7 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

What problems have you been running into? It might be better if we can fix them and put a pull request in to Parsedown.

I've run into many of the items that are currently in the Parsedown and Parsedown Extra issue trackers.

This problem with abbreviations is the one that I was struggling with over the weekend. Two of the other big ones are:

Although I'm concerned with these, at least I've identified them and can deal with them (even if it's in a not-optimal way). I'm more concerned about other differences that I haven't noticed, that may pop up if/when I upgrade pre-Parsedown sites.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Ok great, I'll take a look.