Forum

Thread tagged as: Error, Installation

MySQL Passwords with Semicolons

Hi,

Today we have noticed a problem with MySQL connections with passwords that contain a semicolon character. We used the generated password created in cPanel and it took a while for us to figure out that this was causing the problem. Looking at the connection code it makes sense that this would fail with a password such as abCDe;FG12@:

// PerchDB_Mysql.class.php Line 48
foreach($dsn_opts as $key=>$val) {
    $dsn .= "$key=$val;";
}

It's a rare occurrence, but there are no restrictions on characters for MySQL passwords so this problem could spring up again in the future.

James Wigger

James Wigger 0 points

• 4 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Yes, that would certainly fail. I can't actually find any information about correctly escaping a PDO DSN - I guess the expectation is that it's being hand entered.

Perch could possibly throw a warning if it can see a semicolon in the password, would help developers to track down the problem and simply create a new password if it's not something that's easily possible.

Thanks for checking it out!

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Yes, I was thinking there could well be other characters that need escaping.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

The password doesn't get concatenated into the DSN. The only parts that are added in that loop are:

• host
  • database name
  • unix socket
  • connection port

The username and password are passed into the PDO constructor directly:

$this->link = new PDO($dsn, PERCH_DB_USERNAME, PERCH_DB_PASSWORD, $opts);

Was the password the only place the semicolon was appearing? What was the error you were getting?

I believe the password was the only place it was occurring.

Strange, I've tried to recreate it locally and cannot trigger any failing. So far

MySQL user: testing MySQL pass: password;test

Granted access to the database and the connection is fine. I'm thinking now that this may be something more to do with the server than Perch - possibly even cPanel is not capable of passing a semicolon through causing the problem. I'll investigate some more tomorrow back in the office to verify this as MAMP on my home mac isn't exactly a good comparison.