Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Configuration, Hosting

Development domain and live domain

Is it possible to run 2 different versions of perch on a single server using the same licence (2 separate domains, live and development)?

I have 2 domains on the same server, 1 live and 1 for development of the new site.

The old site is running a much older version of Perch and I really don't want to update it. I want to download the most recent version (using the same licence) and build the new site on the same server using a different domain.

So is it possible to download the new version and still run the 2 versions separately or by downloading the new version will it have some unintended effect on the old site?

Once the new site is finished it will be transferred onto the main server.

Ben Read

Ben Read 0 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Short answer: yes!

Ah... just encountered a possible problem - the old site is still running version 1(I know... don't say it...) - if I apply one of my upgrades to download the new version will it mean the version 1 site will stop working (become unlicensed)?

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

No, you'll just need to edit the config.php file on the live site to use the new Perch 2 license key. You can run a Perch 1 site with a Perch 2 license key for this reason.