Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions

Assets now 'cropping' images

Maybe I am on my own here but I feel the ASSET update, although aesthetically more pleasing, actually is a bit of a nuisance.

For instance when I wish to import an image into a wide header banner, I can't tell if its a portrait image or landscape.

Maybe the list view would resolve this if a small graphic of the Asset were visible. Also being able to select the default asset view list/grid may be useful?

James Tedder

James Tedder 0 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Are you aware you can disable the assets panel and just upload your images directly?

Disabling the Assets panel would be a step backwards. I need the Assets panel to be able to reuse existing Resources, but just feel it would be better to see the whole Resource rather than a cropped square of it.

I only realised this when I went back to an older site using 2.5.4 and thought how much more useful seeing the whole image was.

James, I agree with you on this matter, I have 7 different logos which all display a different service, I can no longer see what the image as it displays at 100%.

Used to be perfect > alt text for image

Not the best > alt text for image

I am aware we can disable the panel but that is not good for my colleagues who have no FTP experience.

I can not work out what this update improved :(

Regards

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I guess it depends on the type of assets you're dealing with. The previous display style might have worked better for small, thin logos, but it was pretty bad for photos.

I see Drew, i know you guys are working on 2.8 but could there be an option maybe later for list view?

Kind Regards

My scenario was for photos. I feel a client needs to see if an image is landscape or portrait.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

The list view is still there - that's not changed - but the list view doesn't show the thumbnails.

Yes, I would actually prefer the list view if it showed thumbnails. and was also sortable by, file size, title etc.

I see the Assets has now been updated with the indicator for Landscape / Portrait images.

I am sorry to say it but I still feel this isn't as good as the Asset app was before 'squaring' off images. I don't understand why images can't be seen in their original shape.

As a designer and photographer I want to see the whole image in my Assets gallery.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

As it's been less than a day since you made the complaint, I think it's a pretty good incremental improvement towards addressing your concern. Do you really expect more than that?

I thought this was you way of addressing it, sorry - I wasn't to know.. I thought it may be a lot easier to revert back to the old image view which worked perfectly well.

I was only making suggestions as a regular Perch user. I am a happy Perch customer but feel like sometimes the responses to suggestions are taken too personally with blunt responses like above.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Apologies - I can sound blunt sometimes when I'm trying to get through lots of posts quickly.

Thanks for the feedback.

Could you name the assets to give a clue (image_LDSC) and also perhaps load into buckets with meaning? Buckets for Landscape and Bucket for Portrait etc

I could do but telling clients to do this is another part of training I am sure they would forget straight after training! They would just be uploading their images with names like 'img_12345.jpg'.

The point myself and Alec Sharples are highlighting is that seeing the whole image is more useful than a 'squared off' crop of the image.

A sortable column in 'list view' would be a good addition. Sometimes I just need to find an image by filename.

Also a way to delete Assets as a Bulk Action would be good too.