Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem, Blog

Blog excerpt - first listing indented

Hi, I am trying to add blog excerpts to the home page, when I do the listings have the first one indented (normal I think?) and any others below not indented and are listed with a bullet point.

I am using a custom formatting function:

perch_blog_custom(array(
              'sort'=>'postDateTime',
              'sort-order'=>'DESC',
              'template'=>'blog/homepage_post_in_list.html',
              'count'=>3

A custom template:

<perch:before>

<ul class="hfeed listing"></perch:before>

<li class="hentry">
        <h2><a href="<perch:blog id="postURL" />" rel="bookmark" class="entry-title"><perch:blog id="postTitle" /></a></h2>

<p class="entry-published date"><perch:blog id="postDateTime" format="%d %B %Y" /></p>

<div class="description entry-summary">
        <perch:blog id="excerpt" type="textarea" editor="redactor" html="true" />

</div>
    </li>

<perch:after>

</ul>

</perch:after>

And this is the resulting html code:

<article class="side-bar-blog"> <ul class="hfeed listing"> <li class="hentry"> <h2><a href="/blog/post.php?s=2015-04-14-nine-of-the-best-fat-loss-foods" rel="bookmark" class="entry-title">Nine of the best fat loss foods</a></h2> <p class="entry-published date">14 April 2015</p> <div class="description e-content"> <p>So, you want to eat well but lose fat? Well, make sure you’re eating the right foods then!</p> <p>See a list of what you should be eating on our News section . . <br></p> </div> </li> </article> <li class="hentry"> <h2><a href="/blog/post.php?s=2015-03-23-cardio-sucks" rel="bookmark" class="entry-title">Cardio Sucks!</a></h2> <p class="entry-published date">23 March 2015</p> <div class="description e-content"> <p>To be honest many people hate cardio exercise with a passion, the thought of getting on a treadmill or Stairmaster and huffing away for hours on end is probably less appealing than going five rounds with Mike Tyson in his prime!<br></p> </div> </li> </ul> </article>

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Graham Burt

Graham Burt 0 points

• 6 years ago

Here is the example as a screen shot:

blog indenting

Are you wanting to indent the first post? If so, you aren't specifying a different style for the first item.

You can do this by using <perch:every>. For example:

<perch:before>
<ul class="hfeed listing">
</perch:before>

<perch:every nth-child="1">
    <!-- Template for the first post goes here -->
<perch:else />
    <!-- Template for all other posts goes here -->
<li class="hentry">
        <h2><a href="<perch:blog id="postURL" />" rel="bookmark" class="entry-title"><perch:blog id="postTitle" /></a></h2>

<p class="entry-published date"><perch:blog id="postDateTime" format="%d %B %Y" /></p>

<div class="description entry-summary">
        <perch:blog id="excerpt" type="textarea" editor="redactor" html="true" />

</div>
    </li>
</perch:every>

<perch:after>
 </ul>
</perch:after>

You can view more information about <perch:every> here

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

No I do not want to indent the first post - it is doing it all by itself and I want to stop it happening. (see example posted)

I cannot stop it and I believe it is because the system is not generating a second <article> tag? No idea what I am doing wrong. .

But thanks for the heads up on <perch:every> that may be useful ..

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

The <article> tags are throwing it off.

Where are they coming from? I don't see them in your template.

No Idea?!

I will look again in detail. So Perch does not generate them unless they are part of the template?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Perch generates practically nothing unless it's in your template.

Weird.

So I replaced the template I edited with the default post_in_list.html and nothing changed? Still the same error on the <article> tags?

Could I have edited another template? Would the custom function grab any other info?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Does <article> appear in any of your templates? It has a class:

class="side-bar-blog"

No . . I am only using Perch as a blog engine for a hand coded site at the moment. I have only edited post.php to display the blogs in my site format and the post_in_list.html as mentioned. All other templates are still system default. The edited templates are within blog/templates as suggested.

I did create the class and as it is associated with an article so it must be resident in some template somewhere. I will keep looking.

Is there a cache I can clear?

Thanks for your help.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Yes, put your site in development mode, then the cache isn't used:

https://docs.grabaperch.com/docs/installing-perch/configuration/perch/

define('PERCH_PRODUCTION_MODE', PERCH_DEVELOPMENT);