Forum

Thread tagged as: Question

Gallery question

Hi. I have a client that needs 200+ customer logos to appear on a 'Clients' page. Before I try to implement it, I just wanted to check in to establish if the Gallery app will do what I need it to do:

• Client should be able to add/remove logos
  • Logos will resize/crop as pre-defined
  • I need to be able to create a custom template using flexbox to display the logos in vertically centered columns, and each logo will be added in dynamically
  • Logo files should be 'name-able' when they are uploaded such that we get a meaningful list of named files in the Perch UI, rather than Item 1, Item 2 etc

Make sense? Do-able with Gallery App?

Thanks!

Matt B.

Matt B. 0 points

• 4 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

I wouldn't use the Gallery app for that - why not just add them as assets?

Matt B.

Matt B. 0 points

Thanks for the reply, Drew. Okay, I'll try that instead.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

I agree with Drew. I would use Assets and a Bucket.

Isn't there a downside in that if you use Assets there isn't a bulk upload facility as with Gallery?

As far as I know, the other thing to bear in mind is that there isn't a connection between assets and the gallery app. If you upload pics into one, they aren't available in the other. It's a bit of a gotcha.

Otherwise, the original things you asked about are possible in both.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

You can drag multiple images onto the Assets tray.

I think the use of 'Gallery' is becoming more restricted as Perch Content, Assets and even Collections are becoming so flexible.

I also believe, eventually on the roadmap, Assets will become the new Gallery manager and will take over from Gallery.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Yes, I wouldn't use Gallery for new stuff. It's a bit weird (it's old) and we won't update it. The intention is to build out Assets to become a better replacement.

Matt B.

Matt B. 0 points

K - thanks all. I guess the piece I am missing is how the template will pull images from the assets, and correctly render them in a grid when the number of items is not fixed. i.e. images can be added and deleted. But that's a templating question I suppose. I'll dive in a bit further to the docs and see what I can do. Appreciate the advice re: avoiding Gallery.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Sure, shout back with any templating questions.