Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions, Discussion

I need to be able to restrict file input fields to certain file types. For example, in the case of a podcast there are two audio files for each episode show3.ogg and show3.mp3 - If the user selects show3.mp3 for the OGG File (which is easy to do as file extensions are not easy to see in the Asset manager) then that's a bad thing. To be able to restrict and validate asset selection based on extension and/or mime type would be fantastic. Even better, when they choose the asset from a field with those restrictions, only assets that meet those criteria are able to be selected.

For categories, it would useful to restrict user to a specific set of categories – the same way we can restrict users to edit a given region.

For instance: I may want HR Team to be able to add categories for the Roles category set but prevent them to edit or add any categories for the "Clients" category set.

Cheers,

Would be nice to be able to sort a repeater.

For image galleries it would be great to be able to add multiple images to a page at once.
(Currently you have to add every single image by clicking "Select or upload image".)

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Nils - you can drag and drop multiple images into the Assets uploader to upload them all at once.

Drew McLellan said:

Nils - you can drag and drop multiple images into the Assets uploader to upload them all at once.

I know, but I don't mean the uploading, I mean batch-adding them to the page from the Assets slider (e.g. by holding the shift key while selecting multiple images).
Currently I have to add every single image, which is tiresome for photo galleries.

Another possibility would be to have "dynamic" buckets (a bucket is created e.g. with the slug of the title for the folder name or something) and being able to display a whole bucket in the content at once—without having to add individual images.

Another possibility would be to have "dynamic" buckets (a bucket is created e.g. with the slug of the title for the folder name or something)

+1

AN EASY WAY TO CREATE ASSET CATEGORIES

In the Assets window it would be good if multiple Assets could be selected and assigned to a Category via a pull down menu.

During Asset creation, we would like to assign a category to the Asset.

Use Case is we have thousands of images in use. A subset of about 50 is used over and over( badges in this case) but it's hard to find the one you want with 100 pages of Assets to go through. Searching on title isn't reliable because of titling inconsistencies among several editors. If we could pre-select what is shown by clicking on the appropriate Category (Badges in this case), that would be good....

Buckets don't work for us because can't guarantee a single type of Asset goes into a specific region: sometimes the editor will put an image of a person, for example, other times they will put the badge of the unit in which he served. It's the badges that form the particular category we want to isolate in the Assets window.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Perch 2.8.26 enables restriction of file upload type: https://docs.grabaperch.com/docs/installing-perch/configuration/security/

This is probably a personal preference, but the image previews in assets are sometimes not particularly indicative of what the image is, especially if there is a long thin landscape image which has been zoomed in on. It might be better to contain the whole image within the thumb, so rather than

.grid-asset .thumb.landscape, .grid-asset .thumb.square {
    min-height: 132px;
    max-height: 132px;
}

Have

.grid-asset .thumb.landscape, .grid-asset .thumb.square {
    max-height: 132px;
    max-width: 132px;
}

Could we please have a fix for the perch_pages_title not updating after set_page issue https://forum.grabaperch.com/forum/08-21-2015-2813-perch-pages-title-returns-same-title-after-perchsystemset-page

that would be super cool

For the blog, I'd like the ability to restrict certain users to only make draft posts and have an editor or admin be able to publish them (or remove them) after review.

For the blog, I'd like the ability to restrict certain users to only make draft posts and have an editor or admin be able to publish them (or remove them) after review.

+1

Also some kind of user activity log, whereby you could check who has logged in and what they did. Would help when trying to identify if a problem is a bug or an off the chain user going loco and messing with stuff.

Yes to both. Reordering blocks can be a little frustrating for some clients. Perhaps even up & down buttons to reorder them.

Greg Stone said:

Two things which are high on my list and have been mentioned by multiple clients of mine.

1. The ability to delete assets .
  2. The ability to collapse perch blocks and perch repeaters so that reordering them is much easier when the region exceeds the browser window height.

Thanks!

Mark Phoenix said:

Also some kind of user activity log, whereby you could check who has logged in and what they did. Would help when trying to identify if a problem is a bug or an off the chain user going loco and messing with stuff.

You may want to check if this would help you: https://perch-log.jameswigger.co.uk/

An event based activity log for the Perch CMS. Useful for keeping track which content editors have published changes and viewing the historical differences.

Cheers!

that activity logger is the business! thanks james wigger - and everyone else for drawing our attention to it.

You're quite welcome, I'll have a look at improving and updating the app once 2.9 lands with any possible changes that come with it.

A minor feature request, one I hope is purely cosmetic - would it be possible to have the grouped master page selector list in standard Perch as well as Runway? We make quite heavy use of master pages and being able to group by folder is a useful UI element.

Example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3i1vj34zb3es05/Screen%20Shot%202016-06-20%20at%2011.24.06.png?dl=0 for Runway vs https://www.dropbox.com/s/2kbd0lq5jpt1di7/Screen%20Shot%202016-06-20%20at%2011.27.30.png?dl=0 for standard Perch.