Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions, Discussion

We used to use our own 'meta tags' template/region on each page for sites, but we recently switched to using 'Page Details' instead for the more recent sites. Using /perch/templates/pages/attributes/seo.html I can add some help to a 'meta description' and 'meta keywords' field. But I can't do the same for the 'Page title' field as I think that's in 'core code'.

I would dearly like to be able to make this field slightly longer, add some help text to guide my customers, and add count="chars' to it to stop them typing too much here.

When filtering pages by region type, it would be great if the republish button only republished the filtered regions, rather than all regions. Sometimes I make an edit to one template and don't need to republish everything else.

+1 for a permissions setting for allowing asset deletion

To improve overall consistency consistency, and also for and convenience of use, I've got a couple of control panel suggestions for 2.9:

• Ability to add an app to a page in the page list (like the 'Manage from this page' Page Option for Collections in Runway). So I could add the blog app to the blog page. Having blog pages in the page list often confuses my clients, so they need a tiny bit of training to explain that the blog listing page's heading is editable on the Pages, but the blog posts are accessed via the Apps menu.
  • Have Collections that have been marked 'Manage from this page' appear on the main Pages page listing, like it was a region, rather than only appearing once the user has clicked into the page itself.

If suggestion 1 was added it would be great for suggestion 2 to apply to it too. Thanks for listening :)

Perch Runway

When using categories with collections, it'd be quite useful to be able to filter content by category. Maybe it could work in a similar way as the Blog app does. I'm talking about sorting/filtering in the CMS.

In this collection I have 47 items across multiple categories, it'd be handy to group related categories together.

screenshott

Another thing that does bug me whenever I use it is the 'Reorder Pages' feature.

When I click 'Save' I feel it should exit out of reorder mode so I don't have to manually click another menu item.

perch:blog

Ability to add inline help attribute on perch:blog

Also I've noticed chars="95" count="chars" append="..." doesn't appear to be compatible with perch:blog

Original forum post

A prepend="" attribute would be useful. Adding opening quotes to blockquotes whose contents aren't styled as inline, for example. An ellipsis could also come in handy in circumstances like that.

Also, +1 for the Reorder behaviour Toby Martin suggests :)

Filename management in assets... manual control over the filename given to an asset would be nice especially when a link is being given to download the file. Likewise the ability to simply replace a file with an updated version but keep everything else about the asset the same.

Apologies if these are things that Perch already does but that I haven't figured out.

Oh, and including fields in blocks from the parent scope which I now know doesn't work at the moment... I would find this very useful.

On a more general note, having been using it today for the first time in a while, the Gallery app feels slightly like it's lagging behind the rest of perch and I would welcome a bit of an update to it. Maybe that's unfair. It could be that most of its functions now are served as well by perch core via assets, buckets and categories. Some features that I would like to see include integration with the Assets app, and more dynamic and clearer gallery handling in the admin area - easier to add, remove, edit and view pictures. For example, even on a multiple item list elsewhere in perch it's possible to click "save" and reparse the template for all the items... doing this on a large gallery is rather tedious as it has to be done one by one. Likewise it might be nice to have a way to "reprocess originals" either via a new image template or the main template if it's been edited rather than having to upload again from scratch. That's a bit of a long wish list but I really feel a few of these might improve the functionality of this app for editors especially.

Jonathan Elliman said:

• Fixed Assets slide out sidebar. Scrolling doesn't work on a large screen in Safari or Chrome in thumbnail mode. I have a 27" screen. It only shows the first page of images. If you refresh the page with a much smaller window the scrolling UI kicks back in.

+1

We would find more granular control for Roles to be very useful.

In particular, we would like a Role which has been granted write/delete for its own pages only, to be shown only its own pages. Right now everyone see everything in the list of pages created and for us - thousands of pages - this is unwieldy.

We would also LOVE a Draft mode whereby Admins could examine page(s) being created by lesser mortals but not yet published, so as to modify and improve. This could be included in an 'Approval Sought' category whereby someone creates a page but it doesn't get published until an Admin approves it.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

In an edit form, where available category checkboxes are listed, to have an 'Add a new category' link below the checkboxes to enable/inform users of how and where to add a new category quickly.

It would be even better if it could add the new category there and then, rather than taking them away from the edit page, otherwise they'll lose unsaved work.

A member of staff has just changed their name (married) so I've been into the control panel and changed everything. Only problem is, the profile image they uploaded has her name too firstname-oldsurname.jpg. It would be great if perch could change the image filename in the control panel to firstname-newsurname.jpg.

This would also help when doing SEO audits on images clients upload (to gain those few extra brownie points with Google), where they've forgotten to change the filename, so it still just has the codename that the camera gave it.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

I'm not sure if it's possible, but better Asset search would be very helpful. Currently you have to guess the name of the thing your searching for as a complete word.

eg. currently, when looking for a file with the title 'Charlotte ', searching for 'charl' or 'Charlott' will not return the result.

It becomes tricky when you have a lot of files and you can't quite remember the title.

@Simon, I think thats a current limitation of MySQL as I remember seeing this discussed for the site search function. I believe Drew mentioned the feature is planned for a future version of MySQL so should filter down into Perch eventually :)

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Thanks Haydn :)

Stefan Youngs said:

We would find more granular control for Roles to be very useful.

In particular, we would like a Role which has been granted write/delete for its own pages only, to be shown only its own pages. Right now everyone see everything in the list of pages created and for us - thousands of pages - this is unwieldy.

+1

Abby Larsen

Abby Larsen 0 points
Registered Developer

Owain Browne said: ...the ability to simply replace a file with an updated version but keep everything else about the asset the same.

+1

This is a feature of Concrete5 asset management and it’s sooo handy. When a file/image appears on multiple pages, you can update the asset in all places simply by updating the asset in the library. So nice.

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Ability to output an image using the Dataselect field type.