Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions, Discussion

The ability to use count="chars" on a text field.

I've just spotted one of the improvements on the list for Perch 2.9 is "Improving image cropping options".

Very much looking forward to this.

Keep up the great work - Perch is brilliant (and getting better with each release)!

Toby Martin said:

The ability to use count="chars" on a text field.

+1

Caleb, this was just added in 2.8.15.

Toby Martin said:

Caleb, this was just added in 2.8.15.

Thanks Toby. I've just read the update notes - Great.

It would be good if textarea field types would increase in height as you typed. This is something that WordPress currently does quite well.

Allowing users to delete assets through a role permission is something clients are asking us a lot. Currently only admins can do this which makes it a difficult choice when giving them access.

Allowing users to delete assets through a role permission is something clients are asking us a lot. Currently only admins can do this which makes it a difficult choice when giving them access.

+1

I'd love the ability in Runway to choose a related Event (from the events app) or related Blog (from the Blog app). At the moment I'm using Collections for both, and while it works, it's not quite perfect.

Easy way to rename Blog "News" or similar in the admin.

Improvements to Search. Also, I think the Documentation, while good, could be clearer. For example, the different field types are buried on the Third Level of the "Templates" section.

Having said all that, I'm loving working with Runway - it's so fast and flexible, and super-simple for clients.

Abby Larsen

Abby Larsen 0 points
Registered Developer

Does "Improving asset bucket management" mentioned in Drew’s original post in this thread include the ability to move an already-uploaded asset to a bucket or between buckets?

My current use case scenario, which may not be typical in the future, is that my client has a bunch of files that were uploaded to the root of the /resources directory due to Redactor "ignoring" the bucket specified in my content template. Drew fixed this Redactor bug in v1.10 of the add-on, but I'm left with assets uploaded before the fix floating around in the root of /resources.

I can also see a situation where buckets may not have been specified at first, but as assets become more numerous over time the need to organize already-uploaded assets would be compelling.

In light of recent events, I believe the the focus should be on the updating and backup of Perch sites. The updating of Perch, plugins and editors should be less time consuming and involve less steps to complete. And if at all possible, update the backup plugin so it auto backup at set intervals. Preferably to a connected cloud service i.e. Dropbox, Google drive etc.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Hi Dan - Perch Runway includes such a backup.

https://grabaperch.com/features/database-backup-and-restore

Updating a Perch or Runway site involves replacing the core folder. Any apps typically just require updating the app folder. With the limited hosting of many Perchers any more automated backup would be very difficult to actually get working well. So we'd suggest people use existing methods of deployment. There are plenty of hosted deployment services that can do a one click deploy across all of your hosted sites.

We use Beanstalk, and they have a separate deployment tool https://deploybot.com/

You can also build deployment into your front-end workflow. So if anything we would focus on encouraging people to use these tools rather than attempting to bundle it directly into Perch.

I agree with Dan that the process of updating could perhaps be made easier:

In the diagnostics, it would be really helpful if there was a visual indication as to whether installed app versions were up to date or not, similar to core version check at the top; this would save having to cross check version numbers with the app download pages.

And of course, yes, if apps or Perch itself could be updated from within the Perch admin, that would be awesome though understand the implementation isn't trivial!

Is there a plan to implement backups in regular Perch? Seems like this should be a basic requirement rather than a luxury afforded only to Runway.

I'd also love to see a method for synchronising database content between local dev, staging and live environments - something similar to migrate_db pro for Wordpress. Often when templates are updated locally, page content needs to be re-saved within Perch to see the change, which then needs to be mirrored on the remote servers. A good deployment workflow certainly handles the file synchronisation, but db's then need to be updated also.

And also what...

James Wigger said:

Even with Manage assets checked, editors can't delete assets? I know it can break things if they do. Would it be possible to view a list of regions where an asset is used when you click into the asset details?

It's great to see how Perch is evolving, such a fantastic product - please keep up the great work!

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Backups - because it relies on external API integration - will remain a Runway feature. If your site content doesn't change much then we have a simple backup app for Perch, or you can backup via your hosting. If your site is so busy that automated backups are required then it probably falls into the sort of sites we intend Runway for anyway.

You can use Runway backup to roundtrip databases from production to live via Dropbox, that's what I do with my sites.

https://grabaperch.com/features/database-backup-and-restore

As mentioned, we don't intend to spend the time creating integrated upgrade because there are better ways to do this with other services. We'd rather spend the time creating great content management solutions. We're a tiny team so we have to spend the time on the things that will make the most difference to the most people, and the things that can't be achieved by some other means are highest on our list.

Hi Rachel

We use Perch for smaller clients, and Runway will probably be a bit overkill for them. For larger projects we have local developer (partners) to build custom CMS.

You write “it relies on external API integration” does that mean it can’t be done, or that it is to much work? If the latter, maybe this could be a paid add-on for Perch? (yes, I know it says on the site all plugins and add-ons are free. But maybe just this once…)

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Hi Dan - you can pay for backup. It's £139, you just need to upgrade to Runway. At the point of losing all your data, I'm sure that £139 to get it all back would be money well spent.

Please don't be surprised that there are features in Runway that you would like to have in Perch. That's literally what it is - Perch with more advanced features.

Listening to Podcast 53 and with you working on password rules in Perch 2.9 ... if not already in the plans, would you allow for a password to be generated when adding a new user please? It would be according to the rules defined. It will save me having to dive into 1Password to use its password generator to create one each time.

Small UI thing I have noticed clients tripping over a bit. When using an App e.g. Forms, "Forms" appears in the top navigation bar to replace "Apps". I have noticed people, once they have made any alterations within the App, then try to click on "Forms" to go back to the initial landing page for "Forms". But this doesn't do anything.

Sorry this might not make sense please shout if I am not being clear!

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Michael Harrison said:

Small UI thing I have noticed clients tripping over a bit. When using an App e.g. Forms, "Forms" appears in the top navigation bar to replace "Apps". I have noticed people, once they have made any alterations within the App, then try to click on "Forms" to go back to the initial landing page for "Forms". But this doesn't do anything.

Sorry this might not make sense please shout if I am not being clear!

It is small, but I have had the same thoughts, for intuitive ease of use.

It is small, but I have had the same thoughts, for intuitive ease of use.

I agree; I'd prefer it if the "Apps" item stayed in the top navigation all the time. And clicking "Apps" always opened the flyout menu, plain and simple.