Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Configuration, Suggestions

Resource buckets restricted per user role

Hello,

I just wanted to ask if there has been any features released lately that would allow for the request I made in this post a couple years back?

https://forum.grabaperch.com/forum/03-06-2015-assets-with-optional-sharing-for-multiple-users

I know Perch has come a long way since then and I'm hoping this is now possible today or that we're getting closer to it. Basically the best solution as suggested by Drew would be to add the ability for resource buckets to be restricted per user role. With that in place, then be able to create a "shared" bucket and give access to all user roles for that bucket. Users would then only be able to upload, view, and manage assets in their resource bucket or the shared bucket.

Please tell me this is possible today or hopefully coming very soon?

Thank you!

Joshua Rodriguez

Joshua Rodriguez 2 points

• 4 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

It's not something other users have requested, so although it sounds like a sensible addition, it's not something we've added yet.

Drew,

Thank you and I understand. Unfortunately, it sounds like a feature that could be coming 5-10 years down the road, considering the amount of user requests is the key factor. I do agree however, that it's only fair.

So my question then is, would it be possible to add this capability through the Perch API or some other way for the time being?

It's been a major request from all of my clients for the past two years now. When I explain to them the benefits of upgrading to Runway, they don't buy into the ability to manage "large websites" because of the lack of this capability. Say we have a website with multiple blogs or news sections, they tend to want to restrict which assets the editor of a certain news section can access and manage. More and more, I'm finding my clients starting to use other site building tools like wix.com, just so they can have complete control over their own content and not have to sort through the hundreds of assets from other users.

I may have to pay, if necessary, to have this capability added, but because there is no way of knowing if it will be possible in less than a few years, then I guess it's a worthy investment. They absolutely love everything Runway has to offer, but still want a more personal experience when they login into the admin control panel. The capability for Assets is a huge part of that experience for my clients.

Ultimately its about the client. The same way highly requested features float to the top of your list, so do the highly requested features of my clients for me. I don't mean to complain, I love everything about Perch, Runway and especially the support provided, you guys are awesome! ...but I guess it is a catch 22 deal.

Please advise when you have a moment.

Thank you!

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Hi Joshua

it is possible to request features to be prioritised, we've certainly added functionality in this way before. See the section on "custom development" on this page https://grabaperch.com/consultancy

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

Wow, I had no idea this was an option.

I'll be sending an email over shortly. Thank you!