Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem, Gallery

Gallery Buckets not shown in Assets

Perch: 2.8.29, PHP: 5.5.26, MySQL: mysqlnd 5.0.11-dev - 20120503 - $Id: 15d5c781cfcad91193dceae1d2cdd127674ddb3e $, with PDO
Server OS: Darwin, apache2handler
Installed apps: content (2.8.29), assets (2.8.29), categories (2.8.29), perch_events (1.9.3), perch_forms (1.8.2), perch_gallery (2.8.6), perch_blog (4.6), perch_twitter (3.5.1)
App runtimes: <?php $apps_list = array( 'content', 'categories', 'perch_gallery', 'perch_twitter', 'perch_events', 'perch_blog' );
PERCH_LOGINPATH: /perch
PERCH_PATH: /Volumes/DATA/_webProjects/htdocs/ffestiniog/perch
PERCH_CORE: /Volumes/DATA/_webProjects/htdocs/ffestiniog/perch/core
PERCH_RESFILEPATH: /Volumes/DATA/_webProjects/htdocs/ffestiniog/perch/resources
Image manipulation: GD
PHP limits: Max upload 32M, Max POST 32M, Memory: 128M, Total max file upload: 32M
F1: 2edba60ed1f613d6dd804feb202456a2
Resource folder writeable: Yes
HTTP_HOST: ffestiniog.local
DOCUMENT_ROOT: /Volumes/DATA/_webProjects/htdocs/ffestiniog/
REQUEST_URI: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/
SCRIPT_NAME: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/index.php

So, I've found that Gallery photos are having resource folders made for them as per 'one bucket per album' and pictures are going into them but they are not being included in the Assets aspects of Perch (in the main Assets panel or the Side Selection panel.

This is happening on a couple of sites now that I check them.

I have tried a Test gallery (to make sure it's not anything to do with long names) and a single image on three different sites.

With buckets for other regions in core (downloads, text box images) the system works as expected.

Robert Sinclair

Robert Sinclair 4 points

• 5 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

I would expect them to appear, but Gallery is very old and predates a lot of the Assets functionality.

Do you see them listed in the perch2_resources table?

They aren't shown in the resources table. but other perch_gallery app entries are.

Two of the sites I've looked at, the one that has the diagnostic and another using Runway, both have some galleries that ARE shown, earlier ones, then after some point there's been a disconnect of some sort.

So it has worked with Assets up til early last year, by my reckoning, possibly around about 2.8 release. This would make sense because the site above (https://www.ffestiniograilway.org.uk) was being developed then and I updated it to 2.8 as a last part of the development process, which would make sense of some galleries being shown and the ones after that point not.

Just to be clear, the diagnostics above are from localserver but the same behaviour is exhibited on the live server.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

This is certainly something we'll re-examine during the 2.9 cycle. Ultimately Gallery will be going away, so that might be the solution we need here.

Now I come think of it, I 'knew' that gallery uploads weren't accessible from the rest of the site (image regions, etc.). It seems they were and it has since been broken. Is it possible to look at whether it's a simple fix because it would be really useful on about half a dozen sites I work on?

With regard to Gallery being retired, it would seem a next development for Assets to take on some of the facets of Gallery. So, for instance:

Add the batch uploader (essential) Be able to define buckets (equates to individual albums) in Assets Be able to define bucket options (again like album options - title, desc, representative image) Overcome the character limit on bucket titles in some way or at least make that obvious/useable by editors.

As more functionality comes into the core app (and therefore 'simpler' to maintain) you/I do have a couple of possible glitch/quandary.

The apps have been used for years by clients and there is a lot of content associated with them. It's going to be an uneasy sell for me to explain to clients that there is a new way of doing it and we need to re-upload all the content again.

Also, the apps make Perch 'obvious', they tell people what it can do. As more of the functionality comes into Core (which I believe it must), the affordances (the fact that you make a gallery, tour schedule, etc.) become more hidden. This is partly about marketing (Here's what it can do kids!) and support (Here's how you do it kids!) and partly about how the changeover happens.

I would suggest that being able to access Gallery content in Assets is a part of that changeover.

I've been using Perch since early version 1 and you've always managed these kind of shifts pretty well.

I wish you all the best with 2.9.