Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem, Gallery

Perch Gallery Examples

Looking for a bit of help with getting the Perch Gallery app up and running.

Downloaded today. Perch is running fine on localhost (using MAMP). Gallery is installed and available from the backend admin page (perch/index.php).

Essentially, I'm doing the whole 'try before you buy' thing, and am hoping that I can use the gallery within a page template (which I'm yet to create). The installation instructions are none-too-clear about where I place the gallery folder, so I've assumed that it belongs directly in htdocs, accessed at localhost:port/gallery/index.php

I'm seeing what looks like a completely unstyled page, and likewise unstyled when I click on the listed gallery examples. Safari's developer tools only shows logo.gif failing to load*. I've added images to an album in the Perch backend, but the examples just seem to look like a mess? See attached image...

Essentially, I can't see what the gallery plugin is supposed to do if I can't get it to display as intended.

screenshot of improperly styled content

*(As an aside, just a quick note to mention that the latest version of Perch has an apps.php file that looks different to the one described in the documentation for installing apps, and that 'perch/addons/feathers/quill/img/logo.gif' doesn't seem to exist. Likewise, 'addons/fieldtypes/albumlist' doesn't seem to exist in the galleries download.)

Krissie Pearse

Krissie Pearse 0 points

• 4 years ago
Duncan Revell

Duncan Revell 78 points
Registered Developer

Hi Krissie,

I think the latest Gallery app includes the albumlist field type as a part of the app now - so no need to worry about that bit.

The Quill feather can be downloaded from here https://addons.perchcms.com/perch/resources/quillv1.zip

But you will need to enable feathers in your Perch install, as per https://forum.grabaperch.com/forum/04-14-2017-perch-3-css-missing

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

I'd also check that you need Gallery (most uses of Gallery are better achieved using regular Perch Content). It's a very old app and one we don't intend to continue long-term, preferring instead to make it possible to get all the likely uses out of Perch Content.

Many thanks, Duncan. Perfect.

Hi, Rachel! I did wonder about that, actually. My hope for the app was that it would allow my user to create a collection of image content to display on a page as part of a template... either as a slideshow (much like the aging wowslider, or similar), or akin to the way that Ebay shows product photos (click a small thumbnail below, and the image is shown in the viewer).

It would appear that the best I could hope for from the Gallery app is the ability to upload them as a gallery in the first place, and the production of an unordered list of images.