Forum

Thread tagged as: Suggestions

Admin Arrows

I've just had a client get quite confused over how to get "up a level" in the admin using the little arrow in the left column i.e. the arrow that sits next to the "Pages" text in the left column.

This is a client that has not used Perch before so probably a good case for ordinary user testing.

Could I suggest you add a light grey background colour behind the arrow or something similar, to make it look more like a "button"?

Jay George

Jay George 2 points

• 3 years ago
Hussein Al Hammad

Hussein Al Hammad 105 points
Registered Developer

Hello Jay,

Simon Clay also wrote about this here. In the meantime you could add some CSS to help your client like Simon did (see: UI Customisations).

Interesting.

I disagree with Simon's final conclusion though. In light of the usability issues I've seen a client face I think the admin should be changed in some way to address this. I don't think changing the CSS is a solution for a fundamental usability problem.

I have also just thought that iOS actually has a pattern of a back arrow with text next to it. In iOS the text and arrow are treated as a single link.

Considering how many people use iOS I dare say this primes user expectation when they see this pattern.

Hmm.. very interesting. I've been building a site with Perch for the last month and I hadn't even realised there were two separate links there! I agree it's not very obvious.