Forum

Thread tagged as: Question

Language Translations - Bit of advice before I start

Hi there,

I'm looking a bit of advice. A potential client is looking to use Perch, on his current website there is 11 languages being used.

They have asked "if your on a particular page i.e /about/ if you click to change the language it remains on that same page instead of going back to the homepage i.e /de/ ideally the URL would be /de/about/"

I noticed in the docs there is two methods "a branched site" or "a region for each language" which would you recommend and is it even possible to stay on the same when changing the language?

Thanks

Fishtank Creative

Fishtank Creative 2 points

• 6 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Yes, this sounds like the branched site approach.

It would be simple to make sure that the switcher on /en/about sends the user to /de/about - but you'd need to make sure that page exists.

Ben Furfie

Ben Furfie 3 points
Registered Developer

The other benefit of branched is that you can set it up so that the different languages use a different global header which links to the relevant pages.

Its the switcher script that will be most work, is there an easy way to that in perch? Instead of coding it manually, I was going to use this tutorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfkOrtkKO0I

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

The switcher should be pretty trivial. I'm on airport wifi so can't load the YouTube video - can you show me the code you're having trouble with?