Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Addons, Events

Update to the events app

Hey, guys!

I just wanted to ask whether there is at least a vague roadmap for the events app. Apparently, there were plans to expand its functionality to cover recurring events, events spanning multiple days, et cetera. (See here: https://forum.grabaperch.com/forum/01-20-2015-feedback-for-the-events-app). Is there any progress on this?

Cheers! Till

Till Sanders

Till Sanders 0 points

• 5 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Hi, yes, it's still planned but it won't be coming this year.

Oh no worries, I wasn't expecting it to. After all, its november already. But do you think, it might be ready in some time in the next months?

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

We don't have any estimate I'm afraid, it's not something we are currently working on.

Hi Perch - Great to hear it's still planned. Another vote awaiting recurring events etc etc.

It's extremely disappointing that the Events add-on update appears to continue to be a low priority. It's bizarre to me that such a common CMS need seems to have been pushed aside by the Shop app.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

We have a lot of information as to which apps are most used by customers and which are most requested by customers so we base our priorities on that.

That might not match up with your priorities but it doesn't make business sense to spend time on something requested by a very few customers over something that was coming up as a request multiple times daily (e-commerce). We have more than a hundred people just on the beta for Shop and many times that waiting for it.

Yes we would like to update the Events App, but in terms of priority it is low on the list and that is based on hard data, we make these decisions based on data.

As it happens the Events App is likely to get an update because of Shop, as we think there will be a decent number of people who will want to be able to sell access to events (tickets and so on). In that case we would use the Events App in the same way we already use Members for Shop. I don't have any sort of timescale for that as it would - once again - be based on the demand for that over some other thing.

As an aside there is nothing to stop an add-on developer creating an all singing, all dancing Events add-on or anything else. All of the Perch Official Add-ons are built using the Perch API which anyone can build on top of. So if it is a business requirement for you and you believe there is a market for it, that is something to consider. We're supportive of those efforts and will help promote the things people make and sell.

Understood. It's just that over a year and a half ago expectations were raised that an update to the Events app was imminent, and then that date was pushed. It just seems as though managing date-based information is a core function of a CMS, and one shouldn't need to be a developer to add that functionality to Perch Runway.

Sorry for turning this forum post into a rant. I'll stop now. I truly do love Perch, use it on quite a few sites, and hope to continue using it.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

And this is why we will now never state that anything is planned, and folk will complain about us not sharing a roadmap ... seriously though you could pick any one of a few hundred things and say it should be part of the product. Which were most important depending entirely on the type of sites you build. As a business, it is our job to figure out what will make the most difference to the most people and work on that.

Time is finite, ultimately if we had more developers we could move things on more quickly - making it even more important for the lesser used apps that we do ship the things people really want. As it is those things that increase sales, allow us to hire and put people on these other projects.