Forum

Thread tagged as: Problem

Getting Redactor 10 Video Plug In to Work

Has anyone successfully installed the Video plug in so Insert Video appears in the Redactor toolbar?

I have tried every which way, but it won't appear.

I have added this to my Redactor _config file, as per instructions, but it still doesn't work

<!-- Plugin --> <script src="PERCH_LOGINPATH/addons/plugins/editors/redactor/redactor/video.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript">
    $(function()
    {
        $('#redactor').redactor({
            plugins: ['video']
        });
    });
    </script>
Stefan Youngs

Stefan Youngs 0 points

• 5 years ago
Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

Redactor is pretty commonly used - maybe try somewhere like StackOverflow?

Redactor II is available since 11th of October and all the plugins have been updated. I just tried to use the table plugin with the Perch Redactor Editor and that doesn't work either. Problem is I cannot find the plugins for the old version of redactor.

@Drew are you planning to upgrade the Redactor editor to the current version?

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Unfortunately getting an OEM license for Redactor is very expensive so we're not planning to update it right now. You can always purchase your own license and create a plugin for your own use - it's pretty simple to do:

See: Using a Custom Editor https://docs.grabaperch.com/docs/customizing-perch/installing-editors/

Simon Clay

Simon Clay 127 points

Docs for Redactor 1 are seemingly impossible to find now too.

Daniel: so you think the problem may be that the plug-in only works for Redactor 11, and we have Redactor 10? That's a thought that didn't occur to me. I'll see if I can find Redactor 10 plug-ins from somewhere.

Imperavi (Redactor people) don't help matters by utilizing a scorched-earth definition for 'terse' to describe their documentation.

We like Redactor primarily because it allows drag'n'drop for image placement. We've got non-tech editors across the world creating content and for them drag'n'drop is essential. They can assemble text of any length, adding images of any size and number to create published pages for our readers.

The Redactor editing window becomes a de facto WYSIWYG environment where the editor him/herself can create something that looks quite close to what the finished publish page will look like. It's not exact as to line endings, but it's close enough, and for us that's ideal.

Whilst understanding the Perch position, it is however obvious that for all its power and elegance, Perch is not really viable without an editor with which to create content. It's GREAT Perch provides Redactor at all, and we're grateful for that.

Redactor is by far the best solution for us for the reason given, so we're highly motivated to find the right way to make fuller use of Redactor through its plug-in and other add-ons.

Perhaps a group of Redactor users could assemble our experience to benefit us all. I'm not a programmer so the Imperavi docs are impenetrable to me: I can cut and paste and pray, but sometimes that's not enough.

I know we have 'proper' programmers in our community and hopefully they can help out the less technically capable. it would all go to make the Perch solution even more powerful, because there is some highly useful stuff in Redactor which isn't available unless you know how to integrate it.

Stefan: There actually is no Redactor 11. It is now called “Redactor II” and the plugins have been updated to work with all the API changes. I contacted the developer and asked for the old documentation and plugins. I will update this post if I get an answer.

For the meantime you can use archive.org to grab the old version of the plugin that works perfectly within Perch: https://web.archive.org/web/20150523092231/https://imperavi.com/redactor/plugins/video (just tried that myself)

That way you can also grab the other plugins and documentation but it is quite slow.

Daniel: Thank for your help.

I read Redactor ll to mean Redactor 11... seems logical! The Imperavi people do nothing to keep things simple because they also say Redactor ll can be called Redactor. Brilliant. That's certainly going to clear things up for the future.

I downloaded the Redactor 10 plug-in from archive.org (I assume it's Redactor 10 from the link you gave), installed video.js and used this in the _config.inc file

<script type="text/javascript"> $(function() { $('#redactor').redactor({ focus: true, plugins: ['video'] }); }); </script>

However, I still can't get the video tag to appear in the toolbar. Can you confirm you can see this tag?

I've tried various places to put video.js, including this

<script src="PERCH_LOGINPATH/addons/plugins/editors/redactor/perch/video.js">

</script>

Where did you put yours and how did you call it in the _config.inc file

Here is what you need to do:

1. Put the downloaded video.js in a subfolder somewhere in your redactor folder. I put it in /perch/addons/plugins/editors/redactor/plugins/video.js. I will use that path for my example.
  2. Open up /perch/addons/plugins/editors/redactor/_config.inc
  3. Add <script type="text/javascript" src="PERCH_LOGINPATH/addons/plugins/editors/redactor/plugins/video.js"></script> right behind the redactor.min.js include.
  4. Add plugins: ['video'] to the self.redactor({}) options

That could look something like this:

_config.inc:

<script type="text/javascript" src="PERCH_LOGINPATH/addons/plugins/editors/redactor/redactor/redactor.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="PERCH_LOGINPATH/addons/plugins/editors/redactor/plugins/video.js"></script>
…
            self.redactor({
                imageUpload: 'PERCH_LOGINPATH/addons/plugins/editors/redactor/perch/upload.php?filetype=image',
                fileUpload: 'PERCH_LOGINPATH/addons/plugins/editors/redactor/perch/upload.php',
                uploadFileFields: uploadFields,
                uploadImageFields: uploadFields,
                buttonSource: true,
            });
…

Let me know if that worked for you.

Thanks for your patience. I've tried adding in plugins: ['video'] at various points, but to no avail The entire toolbar disappeared

My config file looks different from yours:

<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"> $(function() { $('textarea.redactor').each(function(i,o){ var self = $(o); self.wrap('<div class="editor-wrap" style="float:left;"></div>'); self.redactor({ imageUpload: 'PERCH_LOGINPATH/addons/plugins/editors/redactor/perch/upload.php?filetype=image', fileUpload: 'PERCH_LOGINPATH/addons/plugins/editors/redactor/perch/upload.php', uploadFields: { 'width' : self.attr('data-width')||'', 'height' : self.attr('data-height')||'', 'crop' : self.attr('data-crop')||'', 'quality': self.attr('data-quality')||'', 'sharpen': self.attr('data-sharpen')||'', 'density': self.attr('data-density')||'', 'bucket' : self.attr('data-bucket')||'default' } }); }); }); </script>

I also include this in the config file as per Imperavi instuctions:

<!-- Plugin -->

<script type="text/javascript">
    $(function()
    {
        $('#redactor').redactor({
            focus: true,
        });
    });
    </script>

Any help.. gratefully received. Thanks again

What are you trying to do? Do you want to add Redactor to your page or do you want to use it inside of Perch?

If you are on the most recent version of Perch and want to use it as a WYSIWYG editor for your content editors you should update to the the latest version of Perch and install the latest version of the Redactor Plugin as described in the Perch documentation. After that you can simply follow my steps from 5 days ago and it will work.

For other solutions you should look at the Redactor documentation or contact Imperavi…