Forum

Thread tagged as: Question, Problem, Runway

Import to Collections from Region timing out

I want to start by saying, "I know I messed up." I used Perch rather than Perch Runway to create a site that is very content heavy. I have now realized my mistake and upgraded to Perch Runway 3.

Prior to the upgrade, I was having an issue with content in a region duplicating itself. As of this afternoon, there were over 11,000 items in the content region. But my best guess is that is 5-8 times more than what is actually there because of the duplications. I called our host (GoDaddy); they optimized the database tables, but that duplicate information is still showing in the perch2_content_items database table.

Because of this massive amount of content (I believe this is the reason), I am unable to import the content into a Collection. It starts the process, but after 300 or so items it times out. Even if I were able to import the content, I need all those duplicates out of there, and I don't see a way to just click a bunch of checkboxes and delete multiple items at once. I am also unable to get into the region to do anything with it. I could earlier today but it wouldn't allow me to delete, save or do anything.

I exported my database before the upgrade, so I do have that. However, that still includes all the duplicate info. After calling GoDaddy back again they said they could TRY a "join syntax" for a mere $80. I'm not ready to do that just yet in case there is something I'm missing in Perch. Is there anything I can do? Anything at all? I am not very familiar with databases, phpMyAdmin, etc.

As a side note, when I went to get my diagnostics report to post, I noticed that the health check notes: "Temp folder is not writable. Check the path to your temp folder in your runway.php file and check permissions are set for PHP to write to it." I do not even see a file called runway.php to be able to update this information.

Diagnostics report:

Perch Runway: 3.0.4, PHP: 5.4.45, MySQL: 5.6.35, with PDO
Server OS: Linux, cgi-fcgi
Installed apps: content (3.0.4), assets (3.0.4), categories (3.0.4), perch_events (1.9.3), perch_comments (1.2), perch_mailchimp (3.0.1)
App runtimes: <?php $apps_list = array( 'content', 'categories', 'perch_comments', 'perch_events', 'perch_mailchimp', );
PERCH_LOGINPATH: /perch
PERCH_PATH: /home/jstahr99/public_html/aroundptown2016/perch
PERCH_CORE: /home/jstahr99/public_html/aroundptown2016/perch/core
PERCH_RESFILEPATH: /home/jstahr99/public_html/aroundptown2016/perch/resources
Image manipulation: GD Imagick
PHP limits: Max upload 128M, Max POST 64M, Memory: 256M, Total max file upload: 64M
F1: 0c66c2e1f82f9e0b7617b2cb8270f2c7
Resource folder writeable: Yes
SCRIPT_NAME: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/index.php
REQUEST_URI: /perch/core/settings/diagnostics/
DOCUMENT_ROOT: /home/jstahr99/public_html/aroundptown2016
HTTP_HOST: aroundptown.com
Janel Stahr

Janel Stahr 0 points

• 4 years ago
Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

What do you mean by "Content in a region duplicating itself?"

Perch stores a version history of content. This is in order that you can have Undo functionality. If you don't want that to happen then you can change the Undo Buffer which will reduce the amount of content being stored.

https://docs.grabaperch.com/video/v/undo-and-the-history-stack/

If you mean something else then we would need more information to be able to understand what is happening as this isn't something that normally happens.

With regard to importing into Runway, I would suggest doing that in your development version and then importing the resulting database to your hosting. Rather than trying to do it live.

What I mean is that the client has created an item called "Baseball team wins championship game," for example. In admin and on the live site, there are now at least 8 duplicate items for each 1 item actually created. Overnight I just started going through the database to clean it up and in many cases I am finding 60 duplicates of items.

Because of the duplicates I was unable to access/delete/save the content inside the region via admin both before and after the upgrade.

As for importing on a development site, that was my plan. However, when I applied the upgrade, the instructions noted it would lock Perch 2 on the live domain, but that is not what happened.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

What I mean is that the client has created an item called "Baseball team wins championship game," for example. In admin and on the live site, there are now at least 8 duplicate items for each 1 item actually created. Overnight I just started going through the database to clean it up and in many cases I am finding 60 duplicates of items.

This is not something we ever get reported. It sounds like something is very wrong with your install.

As for importing on a development site, that was my plan. However, when I applied the upgrade, the instructions noted it would lock Perch 2 on the live domain, but that is not what happened.

What happened?

As I was going through the forums, I found 2 or 3 people who had reported duplicate items being created.

In one forum post, it was noted that it was happening when 2 users were logged in to edit the same item in Perch (not in Runway): https://forum.grabaperch.com/forum/09-23-2016-multiple-items-get-duplicated-when-more-users-edit-the-same-region

Here is another one with a similar situation: https://forum.grabaperch.com/forum/12-15-2014-duplicate-database-content>

Any clue as to what could be wrong with the install or how I can help you help me?

To be honest, I've been so frustrated with the duplication issue, that I can't even remember exactly what happened when I applied the upgrade. I know that it just automatically applied the new license key. I'm not really too concerned about it at the moment. Even if I downgraded to Perch 2 on the live site, I'm unable to do anything with the items in the region.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

You need to upgrade the site to Runway, to do that I would suggest doing it offline. Given previous experience with GoDaddy it is very unlikely you have the resource limits there to do the upgrade in situ.

To help we need clear, and detailed information. At the moment I would just be making wild guesses as to your particular situation.

What I would suggest is that you work out why you can do the upgrade locally in dev. Get that environment set up, then see if you can do the upgrade. This isn't something you should attempt live. Make sure that you take detailed notes of the steps you follow as then you can let us know what you have done, in order that we have the ability to help.