Forum

Thread tagged as: Events

Using Events app with multi-day events?

I'm currently redesigning a complex portal using Perch. So far it's been great and I've been able to re-create almost everything how I wanted.

However, the last part that I haven't touched yet is the "Event Listing" part of the portal. The Events app for Perch looks great and very user-friendly, but I haven't yet found a way to make it work with multi-day events.

Basically it should supports events that span from for example November 14 to November 22.

Is there any way to integrate such multi-day events with the Calendar app, without the user having to create an event for each day?

Louis Bataillard

Louis Bataillard 0 points

• 7 years ago

I have tried something using a custom "Date (End)" field, but filtering by that field didn't work.

According to this forum entry (https://support.grabaperch.com/index.php?pg=forums.posts&id=10346&pc=3) it was not possible to filter by custom fields in the Events app as of June 2014. I wonder if this has been implemented now?

Off topic: Perhaps it would be helpful if there was a "Known Issue/Doesn't work" section in the documentation of the apps for these kinds of issues.

Drew McLellan

Drew McLellan 2638 points
Perch Support

An update to the Events app with multiple-day events is in the works, but has been delayed.

Ah, great to hear! I don't suppose you could give a rough estimate? :)

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I'll see what I can find out.

Were you able to find out anything? Thanks!

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

I can't currently give an estimate.

Everything else is finished (+ launched) now, but we still need to re-do the "Event Listing" part of the new portal. Any chance of an update on this multi-day feature?

Thanks!

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

The update is still planned. Obviously I've been pretty busy working on Blocks.

Blocks sound great, but can they help with my current problem? We'd need to create multi-day events.

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

Blocks don't have anything to do with the Events App issue, that's just the feature we have been currently working on.

At the current time there is no multi-day capability in the Events App. We intend to add it, as there are a number of customers who would like it, however we don't have any release date to share. Perch Core is always going to take priority as anyone can create their own specific add-ons for Perch, that's why we have the API and things like Blocks and now Repeaters are part of that so you can develop your own add-ons with custom functionality that you need.

Rachel, thanks for the detailed answer, the other replies had me confused about the Blocks functionality for a minute. ;)

One last question: Using current Perch core methodology, do you think it would be possible to extend the Events app myself, or create a stand-alone plugin to add the required functionality?

Basically we would need a way to keep track of multi-day events, and also be able to search for these events. So if an event ranges from January 1st to January 10th and I am searching for events on January the 5th, this event would pop-up?

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

Yes, you could certainly build that using the API - that's how all the current apps work.

Any updates regarding the multi-day functionality? Thanks!

Rachel Andrew

Rachel Andrew 394 points
Perch Support

It's not something we are currently working on. If there has been an update it would be detailed on the add-on page itself in the changelog https://grabaperch.com/add-ons/apps/events

I feel your pain Louis... I'm waiting for the update too and I can't find a developer to do the work.

Can Perch Support recommend anyone to add the multi-date feature?

I too would like to solve this issue but I'm afraid I'm not experienced enough with Perch to implement this feature, and I don't really have time. But I would be willing to pay for this work as it's the only thing holding us back from completely dumping our legacy codebase and moving everything to Perch.

Drew McLellan

Perch Support

This is still planned, we just haven't got that far yet.

I'm passing perch events data to fullcalendar to handle multi-day events, start and end times, and repeating events.

That sounds quite interesting! Any chance to get more information about your implementation or a look at the frontend? Thanks!

sure. Let me see if I can put some files together tomorrow. If you want to look at the calendar, go to https://maritimegloucester.org/calendar/